Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Colonization

Spano
    By Spano,
    I have always been bothered by the argument that America's success came at the expense of the orginal inhabitants. It is basically a question of property rights; I rarely hear anyone argue in favor of the physical violence that sometimes accompanied westward settlement to subjugate the natives. Now, what I know is from public school, so I take it with a grain of salt. We know that people lived in the US far before Europeans settled. When Europeans arrived, the claims of the natives to the la

Salutations

Bondolon
    By Bondolon,
    I came to this forum because of a certain deal that was offered by a certain individual. However, upon arriving I have seen that this is quite the perfect board for discussion about various debatable topics. I suppose Kudos are in order to said individual for bringing me here, and I'm hoping to get in to some engaging discussions. So thanks, david.

Democracy: Democracy And Objectivism

rgargan
    By rgargan,
    Under democracy, the individual must submit to the whims of the majority. Is democracy a form of collectivism? How does democracy fit in with objectivism? Would a perfect system of capitalism (the kind espoused by Rand) be democratic? Thanks in advance.

Ready To Choose Your Poison?

AutoJC
    By AutoJC,
    Elan Journo and Yaron Brook Raise good Points here So Bush will help destroy America with his compassionate wars, and Kerry will help destroy America with.....what? Cyanide vs. Cyanide. Your choice.

Terrorism Report

Skywalker
    By Skywalker,
    Here's an interesting article by an Indian writer, attacking the State department's report on terrorism for evading the reality of terrorism in order to court the favor of countries like Pakistan. I'm curious as to people's thoughts on this. I would agree with the author that our government seems intent on focusing on the wrong targets in the fight against terrorism, and conveniently evading the culpability of others for political reasons. Here's the link: http://www.atimes.com/atimes/South

Automatic Removal Of Leading Blanks

stephen_speicher
    By stephen_speicher,
    I tried to post something to the science section that contained ascii diagrams and when I previewed the post the diagrams were collapsed so that the lines did not line up properly. It looks as if any leading blanks, as well as more than one blank separating a character, were removed. Does anyone know how to get around this so that an ascii diagram will appear properly?

Clumsy Arguing

iouswuoibev
    By iouswuoibev,
    I am not good at arguing. I was arguing with my mother today, because I wanted to cancel my benefits because they are amoral. She bombarded me with a load of nonesense about "dog-eat-dog" and if I want a capitalist society I should go live in Mexico (I don't know anything about Mexico, but I'm pretty sure it wasn't a valid argument). I didn't know where to begin! I want to know if anyone has a directly applicable method for being better at persuasion. Although I managed to state my basic pr

Austrian Friend Of Freedom

Flaubert
    By Flaubert,
    Hi. My name is Florian Riegler, I just finished obligatory military service in Austria. In autumn I'll study law at the university of Vienna. Four years ago the writings of Friedrich August von Hayek attracted my attention. As a result, I spent a lot of time reading books of thinkers, most of them related to the Austrian School of Economics. But what I missed was a specific analysis of the moral principles capitalism is based upon. Several months ago I read "Athlas shrugged" in german tran

Schools

Praxus
    By Praxus,
    I was discussing ways for people in poverty to get into school in a pure Capitalist system. So say a person is in poverty, the parents sign a contract with a company that states that the childs school will be payed for by the company and in return that child when he is an adult has to work for the company for said ammount of years. Would this be allowed in a Capitalist society?

T-shirt Campaign To Wake Up America

MisterSwig
    By MisterSwig,
    Premise: America is being defeated in war by militant Islam and is in danger of being overrun because of its self-sacrificial morality of altruism. If you are in agreement with the premise, then you probably feel as I do: WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING TO WAKE UP AMERICA!!! Otherwise, it is only a matter of time before we perish at the hands of our enemy. In my estimation, militant Islam is the worst enemy that civilization has ever faced. Our enemy wants to wipe all nonbelievers off the

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS