Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

UN foolishness

pvtmorriscsa
    By pvtmorriscsa,
    Howdy All, I used to argue that America was the greatest country in the world, if for no other reason than that we have the fattest poor people in the world. Well I guess the UN has determined that the newest world health problem is obesity. Check out this story. http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor.../health_diet_dc

Taxes: The Taxman And The Objectivist

rgargan
    By rgargan,
    If the taxman demands money from me, what should I do as an objectivist? If I don't pay him then I will be sent to court. If I still refuse to pay, bailiffs will come and physically remove items of value from my home.

Can you love someone you can't respect?

AspiringObjectivist
    By AspiringObjectivist,
    I have found myself, for a great deal of time, attracted to someone for whom I hold no great degree of intellectual respect. She is by no means "slow" or "dim-witted"; she is, however, an evader. She dodges keystones of reality that are presented to her - she also evades simple statements that have no valid refutation with such statements as "but I feel that it's right" and "that's just your opinion, I'm entitled to my own! (without at all supporting this opinion of hers)". There are m

Privatized Military

DavidV
    By DavidV,
    No it would not. If private contractors provide better defense services than then individual soldiers, then privatizing the military would be providing better defense services, NOT abdicating them. As long as the government is running the show, there is no fundamental difference in whether it contracts with individuals or groups. In any case, I don’t think it’s either efficient or in any one’s plans to privatize most or all of the military here or in Israel.

How Do Accidents Happen?

danielshrugged
    By danielshrugged,
    The following is a review of a lecture given at St. John's College by Daniel Harrell on January 16, 2004. Please note that the summary portion features a style of writing that is a reflection of the lecture, not of myself. Credit for the ideas and formulations in this review, unless otherwise specified, goes to Mr. Harrell. How do Accidents Happen? by Daniel Schwartz Mr. Harrell has deceived you all. Those who participated in his lecture titled “How Do Accidents Happen?” though

Fascinating Ayn Rand Characters

AutoJC
    By AutoJC,
    I have to admit, the character Ragnar Danneskjold in Atlas Shrugged gets my vote. Imagine being able to seize ships stocked with foreign aid so that you can give hard-earned money back to the producers in the form of a tax refund? One of the things that stimulates me about Ayn Rand's novels is her ability to concoct such characters. So which Ayn Rand character did you find most fascinating?

Does Peikoff have carte blanche power over O'ism?

aynfan
    By aynfan,
    Did Ayn Rand really intend an unlimited sanction for anything Leonard Piekoff chooses to write in the name of Objectivism? What does he say on this subject?

Your Newest Medical Right

Pericles(MBA)
    By Pericles(MBA),
    What medical right could be better than one that improves your immune function? According to studies employers will pay billions of dollars for healthcare expenses in 2005. What if there existed a product that could provide preventative medicine to improve employee health? As many of you know, I research medical developments in my free time. Recently I came across a product that is being paid for by ACCHHS(state healthcare) and Medicare to treat people here in Arizona. I was so excite

Nas

NAS
    By NAS,
    Hi all, I'm a high school student in Washington State. I read the Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged a few years ago, and they really didn't have a big impact on me (I think I was too young). I just finished rereading them, and they got me interested in philosophy in general. I'm spending the summer trying to define my philosophy. So far, I agree with Rand, but I'm trying to build my philosphy from the ground up (so I can be sure) and to convince myself. Anyhow, Hi!

How does one practice morality in a mixed economy?

galt
    By galt,
    john galt says that there are two sides to every issue-one side is right and the other is wrong ,but the middle is always evil. are we all not betraying him by choosing the middle path. this brings me to my own case........i live in a country where most of the basic amneities provided by the govt. - my education, the electricity, rail and roads etc etc. so am i immoral? suppose i want to payback all this debt after completing my education......how do i do that : paying tax will be f

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS