Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

A website that breaks down O'ism to essentials?

Sokrates
    By Sokrates,
    Can someone give me a link that breaks down objectivism? What aspects is objectivism? Like is it political, philosophical, WhAT?

Coping With Frustrations

Tom Rexton
    By Tom Rexton,
    It's particularly easy for me to become dismayed and frustrated with many people, especially because I go to a public high school here in WA where the effects of the public education is all too easy to observe. Those brilliant students who should and could effect the necessary changes are imbibing the destructive subjectivist, altruist, collectivists ideas. I see and hear this myself especially in my economics, psychology and history classes. (I am aware that this is even more pronouced in co

Help me w/ an argument against "group rights"?

fanofayn
    By fanofayn,
    I am writing an honors thesis on the topic of independent versus dependent rights schemes. I try to prove that only independent rights schemes are valid, and that dependent rights cannot exist. I defined independent rights as the moral power to execute your will over your body. There was a law professor I was discussing this with who asked me why there are only individual rights and not group rights. He wanted to know the origin of these individual rights/what they are based on, and I said t

Hating Bush

oldsalt
    By oldsalt,
    I would hope that by now most of you have read about the lecture the Olympic committee gave to our atheletes about being humble in victory. They were told not to grab the flag and run with it if they win. They were told to be humble as they receive their medals. They were told that we must be "sensitive" to the world's hatred of us. As Lileks wrote in an article today, we mustn't upset the Arab street, the French street, the German street, the Greek street, the Mexican street, or the Canad

U.S. constitution

sv watson
    By sv watson,
    i've only been on this site a few days now. i think it will be different here than on the other site i was on, but this is the question i would like to present: if you could change the constitution, would you? and why or why not? in my estimation many mistakes were made in the final product we call the u.s. constitution. the first and ugliest was that it proclaimed slavery to be legal (moral? hmm.?) and that a slave was worth 3/4 of a man so as to count toward the total population

Monopoly, The Game

Jerry Story
    By Jerry Story,
    The game of monopoly looks to me like a gross misrepresentation of capitalism. Here is a website that agrees with me: http://www.mises.org/fullstory.asp?control=1451 Is there a game that resembles monopoly except for one major difference, more correct representation of capitalism? If not, how would you go about inventing such a game? If you take this question seriously, this is an opportunity for you to be creative. I know there is a game called anti-monopoly, but that is j

Birthdays!

AshRyan
    By AshRyan,
    Happy birthday, Matt! Oh, and, uh, you too, Nim, even though I don't know you, even though you're in Utah.

What do the categories in this forum mean?

AmbivalentEye
    By AmbivalentEye,
    Because I don't know the true basis of the topics in the forum, and haven't been intellectually exposed to them, I never know where to post something here. The "Right and wrong", "arts", "poltical issues" or "current events" is simple and obvious. I can't really say I know what metaphysics or epistemology...etc. mean. I know I greatly enjoy physics, but by the way the term is used, I doubt it has anything to do with physics. (once again, I'm 14). If you could give me a brief explanation of these

Which books by Ayn Rand cover the following?

AraqirG
    By AraqirG,
    Which of Miss Rand's books covers the epistemological and metaphysical aspect of objectivism? If a government is not allowed to tax individuals (b/c that would involve the government initiating force against citizens) how does the government pay for the army, court system and police? How is infrastructure controlled in Objectivism? Are all roads owned privately? What happens if a government initiates force against citizens (Stalin's purges, i.e. statism)? Are the citizens

Value Depends On Valuer = Subjectivism?

Rocinante
    By Rocinante,
    I have a question which I've not found a satisfactory answer to, after many many years of reading Ayn Rand's work, and other writers on Objectivism.. If value depends on a valuer, does that not make all values subjective? I see this as being a crucial question, a lynch-pin on which the entire structure of Objectivism rests. If all values are subjective, the structure falls apart. If we accept the basic tenant that life is a value in itself, and accept that *that* is not a subject

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS