Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Operation Thunder Run

Praxus
    By Praxus,
    A detailed account of TF-1-64's charge into Baghdad... "The battle for Baghdad had begun two days earlier, at dawn on April 5, a bright, hot Saturday. Task Force 1-64, a battalion nicknamed Rogue, pulled out from the operations center, led by 30 Abrams tanks and 14 Bradleys, their squat tan forms bathed in gold morning light. This was to be a ``thunder run’’ up Highway 8, a quick, violent strike through 17 kilometers of uncharted territory. Rogue would be the first American unit inside

Doesn't capitalism lead to exploitation?

Max
    By Max,
    Let me just preface this by apologizing in advance fore two things a. I am still a novice when it comes to Objectivism, and my knowledge on the subject is far from complete (though I have read her fiction and almost all of her non-fictional books). B. While the questions I am about to pose may appear to be assertive in nature (though I feel they are backed with sound logic) I do not intend to be standoffish. Please believe that I only ask these things to gain a better understanding of the Obj

Am I being a hypocrite?

Intresca
    By Intresca,
    Okay, I'm not sure entirely sure if what I'm about to say will make any sense at all, I can only try. I recently had a discussion with my girlfriend about a lot of the things I see during my day that irritate me. She understood most of them, except for one. When people drive around in their cars all night, especially teenagers, as a form of entertainment. For a reason I was unable to explain to her properly, that really irritates me. I told her I found it to be a waste of time, that driving

On The Edge

F*ckCommunism
    By F*ckCommunism,
    Has anyone ever played the collectable card game 'on the edge'? you play cards from your hand to gain influence and smear the names of your opponents... it totally reminded me of the pull peddlers from atlas shrugged... the game is entirely realistic in its portrayal of a corrupt, indecent society... and actually alot of fun!

William Hung

redfarmer
    By redfarmer,
    For those not familiar with the Fox television show American Idol, William Hung was a talentless singer who was tone deaf, off pitch, and made the judges break down laughing in the middle of his performance. Now, of all things, he has a CD out and is on tour. People are PAYING to see someone who has no talent singing. In The Romantic Manifesto, Ayn Rand said that the popular music of a time reflected the state of its members. What do you think it means when a society will pay to watch someo

The artwork from Ayn Rand's books.

Spearmint
    By Spearmint,
    Does anyone know where I can find poster sized copies of the illustrations from the covers of various books by Ayn Rand? In particular, I would like a copy of the picture accompanying Virtue Of Selfishness (see avatar). I believe the artist who produced them was Nick Gaetano, and he has a page on cordair.com, but the only copies of his artwork they are selling there are signed 'limited edition' prints priced at $595, which isn't really financially feasible.

Anti-Collectivist Image I made

Praxus
    By Praxus,
    Tell me what you think.

Objectivism At Work

redfarmer
    By redfarmer,
    I am employed at a retail store where I regularly have to deal with customers and coworkers who are not only completely irrational but overdemanding. In customer service oriented jobs, you are pretty much expected to take whatever the customer throws at you and not say anything in return. This makes me completely miserable and often makes me angry. Changing jobs is not an option right now although I do wish to go to college eventually. This creates a dilemna: many psychologists agree t

ARI vs. TOC

ragnarhedin
    By ragnarhedin,
    (I wrote the following letter to a young Objectivist some time ago, and have been told it is clarifying. Since this topic has been discussed on this forum lately, I thought I would post the letter here. I have changed the name of the original recipient of the letter in the text. Italics are missing in quotes and text.) Letter to a Young Objectivist By Anonymous Dear Anette, You ask me about David Kelley’s claim, in his 1990 tract against morality, Truth and Toleratio

The Ominous Parallels: Introduction

Bowzer
    By Bowzer,
    Rather than let the idea peter out, I thought that I might take the liberty to begin a thread on the first part of the book, Ayn Rand's Introduction. I just have two points that I want to make. There are two things that should be kept in mind while reading this book. This is, of course, in addition to the book's factual and philosophical substance. Psycho-epistemology Dr. Peikoff illustrates connections between the broadest abstractions and historical concretes. Reading The Ominous Pa

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS