Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Higher Education

pvtmorriscsa
    By pvtmorriscsa,
    Howdy All, I have never been able to finish a single semester of college. Two seperate times once at 18, and once at 25 I attempted to get a college degree. Both times I could not tolerate nor stomach the propaganda that was bombarding me. I have done pretty damn good for myself without a degree, but at times I wonder if I am really missing out. It is not as though I am uneducated. I have educated myself about a good many things. I just don't have the piece of paper. I guess my ques

Improvement suggestion

Tomer
    By Tomer,
    This is a question to the moderator: I have just thought of an idea, though I am not sure of how to actually apply it in practice. The idea is that every post on the forum could be read and recorded by the writer (optional), and be saved as a file which could be attached to the post. Of course, a new structure will have to be created in order to make everything more comfortable and appealing than a standard email attachment. Does it sound practical?

AOL Instant Messenger Buddy icons

Tryptonique
    By Tryptonique,
    I was wondering if anyone has thought about designing some Objectivist themed AIM icons. I know we have banners, links, and even T-shirts for this site....but has anyone thought about generic Objectivist (not necessarily OO.net related) AIM icons?

Introduction

Nafai
    By Nafai,
    My name is David Press. I'm a PhD candidate in Computer Science at the University of Chicago. My introduction to Objectivism was through reading Atlas Shrugged when I was 18 (about 4 years ago). After winning the AS essay contest and receiving some great material from ARI in the process, I devoured Rand's writings and have been an Objectivist since. I am currently a member of the Objectivist club at the University of Chicago. Just a shoutout to those whom I've met before that I've seen

Reevaluating history: Napoleon Bonaparte

Gabriel
    By Gabriel,
    I'm really happy with the arguments put forward on my previous thread, on the spartans. A very important character in history, which has a very bad reputation these days, is Napoleon. I think that he is one of the most rational rulers of europe during that century. Even though he use nationalism extensively, mostly for propaganda, I think that his most important legacy is his commitment to the entablishment of constitutions. He is also a good example of individual achievement, especial

Greetings from Quebec

want to know
    By want to know,
    I just wanted to say that there are some objectivists in the very social-democrat, labour union possessed province of Quebec.

Hello from Texas

kesg
    By kesg,
    Hello everyone. I discovered this forum a few days ago. Looks interesting. I am a grizzled veteran of the humanities.philosophy.objectivism newsgroup (which now has little or nothing to do with Objectivism, which is why I was looking elsewhere). I am already becoming highly annoyed at being called a "newbie."

Best news website

re-entity
    By re-entity,
    I'm looking for a site that is unbiased with news presented in a readily accessible format. (Am I asking too much?) Clear descriptions and sorted in to categories.

How is it that Kant was trying to refute Hume?

Elle
    By Elle,
    If Kant sets out to refute Hume, because he understands how dangerous Hume's "Nothing Exists" philosophy is, then why does he end up in such a mess? More specifically, if Kant is setting out to establish and objective (and I mean this in the anti-subjective context, not in the Objectivism context) universe in which there is an absolute right or wrong answer to every question then how can he remove the "outcome" of an action from one's consideration of right or wrong? This seems like

Fountainhead Movie

Who_Is_GV?
    By Who_Is_GV?,
    Has anyone seen the old movie version of The Fountainhead with Gary Cooper, etc.? My local Blockbusters don't carry it. I'm debating on whether or not to buy it via the web. In some ways I think the book is probably all I need, but I love the story and want the movie for my collection. I'm also eager to see how someone would portray Howard Roark.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS