Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Handwriting Analysis

Prometheus
    By Prometheus,
    Just wanted to know your opinions on Handwriting Analysis. Is such an analysis scientific? Are it's predictions in any way correct? I, for one, have always been plagued by a really bad handwriting. I have improved it quite a bit from my early school days, but even now if I try to write fast (say for exams), my writing really goes bad and often quite illegible. Has anyone here been able to overcome such a problem? I would love to find a solution to it. Dinesh.

Deadwood

RationalBiker
    By RationalBiker,
    Does anyone here watch this show? Like it? It portrays a rather brutal depiction of the west during that time. There are some facts blended into the fictional story line. One thing that I have noticed is how many of the characters seem to have objectivist-like beliefs. For those not familiar with the story, the main "hero" is a guy named Bullock who leaves a sheriff job in a small town to start a business in a camp called Deadwood. There we meet the story's principal "villain", a g

Photography

Concerto of Atlantis
    By Concerto of Atlantis,
    Who here enjoys photography? If you do, post some photographs that you consider to be good. They can be yours or other peoples', as long as you state who the creator is clearly. (Does this forum allow pictures to be posted?)

Peikoff's The Ominous Parallels

Elle
    By Elle,
    I just started this book today, and I was wondering who has read it and if anyone would be interested in keeping up an ongoing dialogue. I have not read anything by Peikoff before but I was looking for some Objectivist lit other than Rand, for a bit of variation. Perhaps I should read more of Rand's non-fiction before diving into this book, but I'm into it maybe 30 pages and hooked.

An objectivist president

AmbivalentEye
    By AmbivalentEye,
    I guess the president could fight for a purpose of his own that would better the country regardless of it's effects on "society" as long as he achieves it for himself. But how would laws be established. Could this ever work? Wouldn't half the population rise in anarchy? Not to say that it could happen, because the "people" would never permit an objectivist to rise to power. Wait....would an objectivist ever accpet a role like that? Einstein was offered presidency of Jerusalem and he declined.

Topics getting marked as read

dondigitalia
    By dondigitalia,
    Sometimes, when I log in, then log out without reading everything, all of the topics will be marked as read when I return, including those I haven't read. Does this happen to anyone else? Does anyone know the cause or how I can avoid it?

Situation in Iraq not as bad as being made out

Praxus
    By Praxus,
    These Iraqis apparently did not learn the lessons of Vietnam; as soon as you begin conventional engagements against the US you lose. The NVA and the VC after the Tet offensive was virtually destroyed and we had a clear route straight to Hanoi, the war was ours to win (politicians because of public opinion didn’t allow our military finish the war). Now look at what the Iraqis are doing, they are forming Militias and are beginning direct engagements with the United States Military. This certa

Gmail

Prometheus
    By Prometheus,
    I have been using gmail for sometime now. Really like what google has done with the interface. Very easy to use and the keyboard shortcuts are just too good. Anybody else here using it? 1000MB is a lot of space to have and some of their concepts of grouping mails together ala forum style is pretty neat. They are allowing only beta-testers for now (through blogger.com), but if you are one of those who have huge email needs, please do check it out, so that you can get your hands on an ac

I Only Defend President Bush When He's Right

AutoJC
    By AutoJC,
    I thought I read that some prominent capitalist author would vote for Bush because of his "courageous" reaction to the terrorist attacks. I've never read anything more short-sighted in my life. Bush was right to cut taxes to stimulate the economy. Bush reacted to 9-11 by eventually attacking its main sponsor, Afghanistan. That was sort of right. His response was not timely and immediate. And he doesn't know how to fight a war to win. That was/is wrong. Regarding foreign relati

What is "the sum of all that exists"?

DAC
    By DAC,
    This is the continuation of a topic (that became off-topic) that occured several months ago... I would prefer to keep this discussion limited to the metaphysical nature of the universe and its fundamental ultimate constituents... Read the original discussion here: http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.p...topic=192&st=60 ===================================================== I've been busy with career concerns and have not been able to post for a while. I will recap to

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS