Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Gmail

Prometheus
    By Prometheus,
    I have been using gmail for sometime now. Really like what google has done with the interface. Very easy to use and the keyboard shortcuts are just too good. Anybody else here using it? 1000MB is a lot of space to have and some of their concepts of grouping mails together ala forum style is pretty neat. They are allowing only beta-testers for now (through blogger.com), but if you are one of those who have huge email needs, please do check it out, so that you can get your hands on an ac

I Only Defend President Bush When He's Right

AutoJC
    By AutoJC,
    I thought I read that some prominent capitalist author would vote for Bush because of his "courageous" reaction to the terrorist attacks. I've never read anything more short-sighted in my life. Bush was right to cut taxes to stimulate the economy. Bush reacted to 9-11 by eventually attacking its main sponsor, Afghanistan. That was sort of right. His response was not timely and immediate. And he doesn't know how to fight a war to win. That was/is wrong. Regarding foreign relati

What is "the sum of all that exists"?

DAC
    By DAC,
    This is the continuation of a topic (that became off-topic) that occured several months ago... I would prefer to keep this discussion limited to the metaphysical nature of the universe and its fundamental ultimate constituents... Read the original discussion here: http://forum.ObjectivismOnline.com/index.p...topic=192&st=60 ===================================================== I've been busy with career concerns and have not been able to post for a while. I will recap to

Great Art

Ed from OC
    By Ed from OC,
    In the Kill Bill discussion, several posters contended that while the movie was original, it was not great. "Greatness" was something else. Why distinguish beteween good and great? A good movie is an enjoyable experience; a great one brings the sublime to your soul. So what is the standard for great art? What is it about, say, Les Miserables, the Sistine Chapel, Fallingwater, Othello, or The Fountainhead that make them great works of art, but not, say, The Da Vinci Code or Patriot G

Introduction

Who_Is_GV?
    By Who_Is_GV?,
    Just letting everyone here know about a new registrant. I know nothing about forum etiquette, so keep that in mind. I have posted reponses on other forums and people have gotten angry that I haven't introduced myself, and so on. Trying to avoid that, I'm letting everyone know I'd like to hang around and observe this forum. I have been seriously reading Ayn Rand's fiction and non-fiction for about a year now. I've been studying whatever I can about Ayn Rand, the person, as well. My feel

The Geneva convention

Tryptonique
    By Tryptonique,
    The Geneva Convention Summary : Basic rules of international humanitarian law in armed conflicts(1) 1. Persons hors de combat and those who do not take a direct part in hostilities are entitled to respect for their lives and their moral and physical integrity. They shall in all circumstances be protected and treated humanely without any adverse distinction. 2. It is forbidden to kill or injure an enemy who surrenders or who is hors de combat. 3. The wounded and sick shall be co

Hello from England

iouswuoibev
    By iouswuoibev,
    Hi, my name is Rob and I am from Derbyshire in the UK. I discovered objectivism through the terrygoodkind.com forum. I find this philosophy to have a non-contradictory sense of rationality, and a code of ethics that is based on demonstrable principles. This sets it apart from all other philosophies that I am aware of, and gives it a credibility and self-supporting integrity that the others lack. Objectivism has given me much clarity in my course through life for the relatively short time I

A game I don't believe in

iouswuoibev
    By iouswuoibev,
    I am a programmer and I have been working on a project for nearly a year now. It is a MUD. For those who aren't in the know, a MUD is a multi-player computer game that uses text as its medium (at least traditionally) and is most frequently fantasy-based in content. If you care to learn more: http://www.everything2.com/index.pl?node=MUD would be a good place to start. Now that's out of the way, I'd like to explain my problem. I am not sure that the nature of the game I am writing is in ac

Maintaining a marriage

re-entity
    By re-entity,
    I am about to marry in a few weeks and I am interested in your ideas and advice for maintaining a marriage. This is not motivated from the fear of failure but from the desire to keep life as radiant as our first date and the time spent together since. Fundamentals are fine but I'm really interested in side issues like maintaining appearance, ie., physical beauty, arranging finances, overcoming arguments and keeping things fresh and exciting. Your thoughts please...

Property Rights

Discipulus
    By Discipulus,
    I was hoping that somebody could either englighten me or direct me to a source which might adress a question I've been pondering. In disputes with a somewhat liberal friend of mind, he has denied that property rights are anything but an arbitrary invention of man. He says claiming property is an act of coercion, and therefore any philosophy which accepts the non-coercion principle cannot accept the idea of private property. This led me off on a tangent. In the state of nature, how exactly a

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS