Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Compatible politics

gabrielpm
    By gabrielpm,
    What other movements or thinkers are compatible on a political level with Objectivism? (even if they might differ on an epistemological or metaphysical level, they share the same ethics and politics) Do you know of any? What's the Oist attitude toward them?

Conversion Disorder

buiq
    By buiq,
    Hello: I do not know if this topic has been discussed before. If it has, please pardon me. I am interested in your thoughts and opinion regarding a particular psychological condition: Conversion Disorder. My appology for the lengthy quote (This is from Emedicine.com. I do not think I have violated copyright of Emedicine-If I do, I request the moderator remove my quote.) Do you think the rationale to explain Conversion Disorder by psychodynamic theory and learning theory ar

Creeping Multiculturalism

Charles T.
    By Charles T.,
    Read it and weep: Mich. city council approves Muslim prayers Hamtramck, MI, Apr. 21 (UPI) -- Mosques in the city of Hamtramck, Mich., will be allowed to broadcast their Muslim calls to prayer over loudspeakers. The issue, which has divided many of the city's 23,000 Muslim and Christian residents, was approved by city council, the Detroit Free Press reported Wednesday. The controversy centered on noise pollution and religious freedom and tolerance. Those opposed to the me

Sesame Street

NIJamesHughes
    By NIJamesHughes,
    A few nights ago on MSNBC there was a program that was celebrationing Sesame Streets 35th anniversery. The show was credited with teaching millions of children how to read, count, and "social skills." The makers of the show explained how individuals would approch them and tell of how their child watched as much as 5 hours a day. The news reporter was especially thrilled by the was the show handled the topic of death, in fact she said it was brilliant. They played the scene. One of the long

Best books/lectures on Objectivist metaphysics?

dondigitalia
    By dondigitalia,
    What are the best books/lectures on Objectivist metaphysics?

Trade vs. Force&Fraud

gabrielpm
    By gabrielpm,
    The basic requirements of survival and prosperity can be met via trade, force, fraud or a mixture of the 3. It is my understanding that the Objectivist stance is that trade `is optimal`, meaning that if trade were to be implemented, it would yeld best results (at an individual level, and secondarly at a group level, but as a side-effect). Another phrasing could be that `more a society relies on trade for its inner dealings, more it is prosperous`. Am I correct in this simple interpretat

Michael Huemer's Critique on Objectivism

Tryptonique
    By Tryptonique,
    http://www.lddebate.org/?go=essays&essay=heumer-rand I'm posing this and freely admitting that I am just getting into O-ism. I have only read A.S, The Fountainhead, The Anthem, and I am just getting started on OPAR and the Virtue of Selfishness. I was wondering what some responses to Huemer's attacks would be? Especially his assertion that ethics/etc are a priori? (based on the justification he gives) I hope I'm not posting something that has been posted a bunch of other

Atlas Shrugged

redfarmer
    By redfarmer,
    I wanted to share with everybody an experience I had the other day after reading a chapter in Atlas Shrugged. I was wondering: has anyone ever had an experience like this where everything they've ever known but refused to admit suddenly becam crystal clear? This is quoted from my online journal:

Greetings

rainoffire
    By rainoffire,
    Greetings everyone. I found this board via the Capitalism Forum. I live in the UK and run a web design business. I have been a student of Objectivism ever since I was introduced to Miss Rand through the author Terry Goodkind. Thank you for setting up this forum!

Anything Exchange

always_learning
    By always_learning,
    This is really cool. Its a stockmarket for just about anything. Check it out. TradeSports

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS