Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

What is a poem?

danielshrugged
    By danielshrugged,
    Poetry is distinguished from prose by its extensive use of the sound of language. This relates to the means a poem uses to express something. But what I wonder about is WHAT a poem expresses. Take a look at this poem: "Success" by Berton Braley If you want a thing bad enough To go out and fight for it, Work day and night for it, Give up your time and your peace and your sleep for it If only desire of it Makes you quite mad enough Never to tire of it, Makes you hold all

A religious saying: Metaphysical vs. man-made

dondigitalia
    By dondigitalia,
    "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things which I cannot change, the courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference." I have turned to this saying for guidance many, many times since I first read it, framed on a friend's parents' wall, a few years ago. The only problem is that I don't ask god for these things; I look for them within myself. I find that the message is completely rational except for that one tiny detail. What would be a better way to word it?

Atlas Shrugged

Brian
    By Brian,
    If you haven't read Atlas Shrugged don't read on..... x x x x x x x x x x x x Near the end of Atlas Shrugged John Galt told Hank Rearden, Dagny, Fransisco, and Ragnar not to look down when they were flying over New York City when the lights went out. Yes, the lights of New York City going out is a horrible symbol, but John Galt previously said in the book when referring to Galt's Gulch that "no one gets in here by faking reality whatsoever." Shouldn't they then have l

OAC - Introduction to Writing

RationalEgoistSG
    By RationalEgoistSG,
    Due to a lot of school work, I have fallen extremely behind on my OAC classes. For anyone that is taking the OAC Intro to Writing class right now, could you tell me when the final paper is due (or if that date has passed)? Thanks.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS