Objectivism Online Forum
  • °

Objectivism Is The Everyman's Philosophy

In the universe, what you see is what you get,

figuring it out for yourself is the way to happiness,

and each person's independence is respected by all

• Rand's Philosophy in Her Own Words

• "Metaphysics: Objective Reality"Nature, to be commanded, must be obeyed/Wishing won’t make it so." "The universe exists independent of consciousness"
    • "Epistemology: Reason" "You can’t eat your cake and have it, too." "Thinking is man’s only basic virtue"
    • "Ethics: Self-interest" "Man is an end in himself." "Man must act for his own rational self-interest" "The purpose of morality is to teach you[...] to enjoy yourself and live"
    • "Politics: Capitalism" "Give me liberty or give me death." "If life on earth is [a man's] purpose, he has a right to live as a rational being"
  • Objectivism Online Chat

Taxes: Can Objectivists Pay Taxes?

Guest DonGalt
    By Guest DonGalt,
    Since taxes are used to force people to live for others benefits, are you not violating objectivism to pay taxes? Some might make the argumetn that the government provides services, and thus you should pay for those serives. But this violates the idea of value for value-- the level of tax burden is approximately 10 times the fair market value for the services you recieve. (Realize that this is easy to show as most government money goes into the financial pyramid scheme of the deficit, for

"how's Your Universe?"

NIJamesHughes
    By NIJamesHughes,
    Hi, My name is James Hughes. I live in Arkansas, and I am an independent salesperson from Kirby Enterprises. I've read most of Ayn Rand's books, and both of Leonard Piekoff's works. I learned about Ayn Rand through Anton LaVey and the Church of Satan (a philosophy which claims rational self-interest in ethics). After discovering Ayn Rand, I divorced myself from that movement, and have been preparing a critical essay about it. I am interested in philosophy, psychology, science, and capi

Mental Exercise - What Would You Do...

RadCap
    By RadCap,
    ...if, one day you awoke to find yourself in the Dark Ages? To give you some background on the question, I am asking this in the context of living a virtuous/rational life in a culture of irrationality. Under such conditions, how should one live one's life? What could/would one do to make one's life more 'livable' as an objectivist in a 'society' steeped in blatant irrationality and in which such irrationality had no rational counterpart (and indeed where the such rationality could run yo

Master And Commander

RadCap
    By RadCap,
    Has anyone else seen this film yet? It is essentially plotless, but in the same way that Calumet K was plotless. And, like K, it also depicts efficacious men engaged in rational activities (such as defending the freedom of one's country). What is inspiring about the film is that it depicts this eficaciousness with no comment. It is not presented as heroic. It is not presented as an exception. It is presented as normal and expected human behavior. As such, it was extremely refreshing.

Portal by DevFuse · Based on IP.Board Portal by IPS