Objectivism Online Forum

What Atheists Can't Answer

Rate this topic

Mammon

This brings up an interesting subject on how to approach opposing ideas. Lemuel mentioned that by saying he is an objectivist as opposed to calling himself an atheist brings up more opportunity for productive exchange of ideas. I think that is the correct way of asserting your beliefs.

When my Dad started to talk to me about religion and philosophy, he did it by standing as an Objectivist. He would talk to me about faith and how detrimental it was to a person, but he would also back that up and explain why. The Mormon church has enough 'hard' evidence against it that he could have shown me facts about what was wrong with the church. He knew I would leave the Church (I doubt anyone that has access to the internet and knows to question things could stay) but his concern was for what I would turn to when I did.

I found Dawkins entertaining when I watched some of his work (I was already an Atheist). However, I do not believe that it would have converted me. (I would have left Mormonism... but I might have turned to some other branch of Christianity, Buddhism, or Deism.)

Edited by Guruite