Objectivism Online Forum

Electronic Muscle Stimulation

Rate this topic

I have been advised by my doctor (whom I saw about my knee injury) to increase the strength in my legs by resistance cycling and taking protein shakes. I tried this for a few days but must have pushed too hard as my knee became painful once more after months of no excercise and pain relief tablets.

I know that to strengthen my knees I must strengthen my legs, but the best leg strengthening techniques such as squatting and the machine leg press are not suitable due to my injury.

Does anyone know if Electronic Muscle Stimulation works? or any resources for leg strengthening cycle routines?

Does anyone know if Electronic Muscle Stimulation works? or any resources for leg strengthening cycle routines?

First of all, I might suggest you get a second opinion. If the first doctor's advice isn't working, what could be the harm in another opinion?

I do not have the exact same injury that you do, broke my tib/fib in January, but my doctor recommended a recumbent exercise bike to rebuild the muscles in my leg. Since the insertion of the titanium rod in my leg required the doctor to remove then replace my knee cap, I am pretty much working on everything from my knee down. Perhaps this type of low impact, resistance workout would be beneficial to you too? I found a nearly new recumbent bike on Craigslist.com for only $40 and it seems to be working out quite well for me. Swimming is also a great, low-impact work out.

Finally, my uncle used some sort of electronic stimulator device on his back due to some muscle spasms and I think he had moderately successful results. He's an ear, nose and throat surgeon, so I assume he must know something about that kind of device to have given it a try.

Not sure if any of this helps, but I hope you start feeling better soon. Pain sucks.

Edited for spelling.

Edited by K-Mac

Um, if I remember correctly, the reason those electric stimulator things are so bad, is for the same reason that refined sugar is a bad way to intake carbohydrate - it's quick and too sharp for your body to handle in a healthy manner.

I know that to strengthen my knees I must strengthen my legs, but the best leg strengthening techniques such as squatting and the machine leg press are not suitable due to my injury.

Resistance cycling to build muscle strength? Whew, you definitely need a 2nd opinion. That is asking for a repetive motion strain. It is not an effective replacement for strength training. You strength train so that you can do resistance cardio safely, not the other way around.

Is there some way you can see a physical therapist, maybe one trained in sports medicine? The best way to build muscle mass is resistance strength training like you mention, but usually sport medicine types have a much broader range of possible strength exercises that they can use which would effectively avoid your injury.

You could use a leg curl machine if you move forward enough to take the stress off your knee, but I'd definitely look into seeing a physical therapist.

There's an over-the-counter supplement out there called Herculin MRF-4 which was originally developed as a treatment for Muscular Dystrophy. Look in Pub Med for some scientific studies about it. Among other things, it stimulates myogenic regulatory factors and satellite cell activity, leading to increased muscle fiber size and new fiber growth. Drink a packet of it before you work out, and you'll see a big difference. Actually, for me, it worked so well I had to quit taking it for aesthetic reasons.

What kind of protein powder do you take? IMO, Muscle Milk Cookies and Cream blended with strawberries and bananas is as tasty as it gets!

Resistance cycling to build muscle strength? Whew, you definitely need a 2nd opinion. That is asking for a repetive motion strain. It is not an effective replacement for strength training. You strength train so that you can do resistance cardio safely, not the other way around.

Yes, exactly. Find a physical therapist that tells you the same thing and hire him.