Objectivism Online Forum

Israeli Men Dodge Draft

Rate this topic

Israeli Men Dodge Draft :(

http://thetrumpet.com/index.php?page=article&id=3445

"One in four Israeli men eligible to serve in the Israel Defense Forces is dodging the draft, according to figures released by the army. This figure is the highest in the history of the state. . . . "

[Edit: Entire article was posted and without quotation marks. I removed most of the article and added the quotes and the ellipses. -- Matt]

Edited by Groovenstein

Israeli Men Dodge Draft :(

[...]

“Israeli society has to condemn draft dodgers,” one officer said. “This is not just a military matter, but a social issue as well. Those who do not shoulder their share of the burden have to be made to feel ashamed.”

This latest revelation is another discouraging sign among many for Israel. Jewish statehood has long depended on the willingness of patriotic young men and women to join the army and defend the nation. The fact that an increasing number of young conscripts are exploiting exemptions to avoid joining shows a weakening devotion to Jewish statehood among Israel’s young people.

There's a lot to be said here, but I'd like to suggest that the real problem is leadership, not the common soldier. The leadership will not fight this war and end the threat. Instead, they've played endless, decades long, games with the lives of their own soldiers. It seems an interminable war, with no end in sight, because they refuse to take the war to the enemy, partly thanks to the international community, but also because of their own thinking. Who wants to fight that kind of war?

The other thing is that the draft is immoral, as I'm sure you're aware, and an all voluntary army would be a much better thing, because they would be highly motivated.

Also, the whole idea of “Jewish statehood” is wholly religious. Were I Israeli that’s not what I’d be fighting for. I’d be fighting for the secular, free Israel.