Objectivism Online Forum

Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix

Rate this topic

I watched the movie yesterday and liked it a lot (I haven't read book yet, though I'm going to). It's really the best Harry Potter movie so far. I was very impressed by witch-in-pink, she is very like Randian villians and is brilliantly characterized.

My favorite scene is when she is about to interrigate Harry. She says "What Minister won't know about won't harm him", identifying evasion as root of all evils tha plague the Ministry and the reason why he doesn't recognize return of the Dark Lord.

My unfavorite scene is when Harry refuses to kill witch who killed Sirius Black. I think he did it because it was what Voland Mort whould do, and Harry was obsessed not to be like him at the moment. However, this is living murderer unpunished, and that is the only immoral thing Harry have done in the movie.

So, what are your opinion and thoughts on movie?

I agree that this was the best of the five movies. I think the acting, for one, improved immensely, and I think I've finally gotten used to the idea that the movie characters are bound to be different than the book ones.

Considering the fifth book was the longest as well, I think the screenplay writer did a good job of selecting which things to include and which to eliminate (minus a few nit-picks I have). I think they generally included all of the essentials that crop up later in the sixth and seventh books, but the movies are made for people who've read the books anyway.

An interesting fact: the scenes that took place in the Department of Mysteries were constructed entirely using CG, making it the first COMPLETELY computerized set ever. I thought it looked beautiful!

I shelled out 11$ to see it at the IMAX, and have to say that it was completely worth it. I watched it a few days later on a normal theater screen, and the difference in quality is enormous.

I agree that of all the Harry Potter films this one had the best graphics, the Ministry scene was absolutely beautiful. But for me this movie over all was not on the same level of the previous two. It just felt very disjointed and a bit choppy on parts, and the dialogue was kind of flat for me, but the Fifth book was also one of my least favorite of the books. I kind of felt like if this were a movie of itself and I hadn't seen the previous 4 I really wouldn't have cared about what was happening as far as the characters, they just weren't conveyed as well to me. With the exception of Umbridge, I do think that they did very well with her characters, and she was actually the one I was worried about, I thought "no way were they going to make her as evil as she was in the book" but they actually did a good job with that.

An interesting fact: the scenes that took place in the Department of Mysteries were constructed entirely using CG, making it the first COMPLETELY computerized set ever. I thought it looked beautiful!

A minor quibble here. My understanding is that the sets in the film SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW were entirely CGI, and that predates the OOtP film by several years.

I don't know, I don't mean to sound like a nerd here but the movie was extremely different from the book. That vail thing Sirius Black fell into was totally not how I imagined it to look and during the fight scene with dumbledore and voldemort the statues were sapose to be alive and they were sapose to be holding harry down during that entire battle to protect him. They totally left out Quiddage, Umbridge was not sapose to be a neat freak, it was sapose to be Chos friend that ratted out the room of requirement not her, they left out the mudd puddle that fred and george left through out the great hall when they got their broomsticks and left Hogwarts, They left out the room with the giant jar of brains near the department of mysteries, only harry was sapose to hear the prophecy not his friends, They left out the Centaur Firenze and how he took over the job of teaching Divination. I thought that it was good but it could have been allot better.