Objectivism Online Forum

My Best Photographs

Rate this topic

RationalEgoistSG

I would just like to share something I'm proud of: my best 50 photographs. I took these in Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Umbria, New York City, and Washington D.C.

My Photography Portfolio

I've been trying to set out on a career path and have been experiencing difficulty. If it were feasible, I'd definitely consider a career taking photos like these.

I would just like to share something I'm proud of: my best 50 photographs. I took these in Rome, Florence, Tuscany, Umbria, New York City, and Washington D.C.

My Photography Portfolio

I've been trying to set out on a career path and have been experiencing difficulty. If it were feasible, I'd definitely consider a career taking photos like these.

Wow those are some amazing photos. Good luck with job hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

Several different cameras took those shots, as they were taken in different years. The best photos from Italy were taken by my friend's Nikon D80 which he was nice enough to lend me. All the others were taken with three different point-and-shoots, the best of which being a Sony DSC-W70.

When I have enough money, I'd love to buy a professional DSLR.

I think the heart-shaped cloud is awesome. Easily my favorite amongst the bunch.

There are some interesting photos in there. But also some pretty banal ones, to be honest. Things like a bottom-up view of skyscrapers or setting sun look very cool, but unfortunately it's also extremely common place thematically. Some of the still lifes and natural photography I think needs a more focused imagery, and probably a greater contrast in lighting.

I'm only saying this because you mentioned that you want to do this as a career. As personal photo album, I'd say it's pretty good. If you are trying to put together a professional portfolio, I would say take more pictures that has a sharper theme and focus, as opposed to something that people can just look at and say, "Oh, that's a nice view", and then forget after five seconds. Another thing I noticed is that some of your photos might need a tighter framing, while others could probably use more open space (a couple that I thought you did a really nice job on though are the coliseum shot and the Sienna town center shot); something that you can play around with. Also, you should get in more pictures that show case your skill with light manipulation, color saturation, and camera focus. And consider adding things like shots of dynamic subjects, and also some close up portraits, as opposed to exclusively still scenes. That will add more energy and variance to your portfolio, and also show case your range. Ultimately it's about making your images stand out -- something that people really look at and remember (think for instance of the extreme example of the famous picture of marines holding up the flag in Iwo Jima). I know that these pictures probably have personal meanings to you that are hard to extricate, but try and look at it from a third person viewpoint and ask yourself if these pictures would incite any meanings or emotions in the viewer.

Just my honest advice.

Moebius,

I appreciate the honest criticism. It's the best way to improve!

Unfortunately I'm an amateur, and at present lack the equipment to really achieve the kind of photographic manipulation that you're talking about. Most of my best shots from that album I was able to take with the DSLR of a friend. I'm incredibly anxious to experiment and perfect my photography, but I almost feel like it's not worth doing until I have a decent camera.

I really like your advice about variety. I first developed my love of photography because I loved walking through NYC and wanted to capture those memories. But after traveling to Italy and discovering a new style, I'll definitely be mixing up my subjects more than I have in the past.

Although, it's hard to ignore the beauty of a skyscraper. :wub:

Cheers!