Objectivism Online Forum

post your favorite you tube videos here

Rate this topic

The Wrath

I'm not going to go that far personally, but I thought the video was amazing. It's easy to put our imagination at work in humanizing the apparent actions of those animals, but in the end "knowing" that they actually thought that through the way it worked out seems a stretch to me.

I guess I think animals are smarter than most give them credit for. I think the buffalo "know" they are stronger as a herd than as individuals (that is why they are herd animals after all) and why they retreated and regrouped for their attack. Now why this particular heard decided to take it upon themselves to act in their best interest, is beyond me. Maybe they're evolving? (They're mad as hell and they're not going to take it anymore! :lol: )

I found it particularly interesting to see the inner conflict going on within the herd. You can clearly see individuals stepping forward, then back, then forward, then back. It's as though they know they shouldn't be doing this, yet they can't help themselves. Amazing to witness.

Just goes to show the power of the masses. Just like the buffalo, many of us are hesitant to step up and work toward change, but when we work together toward a common goal, even the unheard of is possible. Hey, maybe we can write a fable about this? :P

• Replies 412
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I think animals are smarter than most give them credit for. I think the buffalo "know" they are stronger as a herd than as individuals (that is why they are herd animals after all) and why they retreated and regrouped for their attack. Now why this particular heard decided to take it upon themselves to act in their best interest, is beyond me. Maybe they're evolving? (They're mad as hell and they're not going to take it anymore! :P )

I found it particularly interesting to see the inner conflict going on within the herd. You can clearly see individuals stepping forward, then back, then forward, then back. It's as though they know they shouldn't be doing this, yet they can't help themselves. Amazing to witness.

Just goes to show the power of the masses. Just like the buffalo, many of us are hesitant to step up and work toward change, but when we work together toward a common goal, even the unheard of is possible. Hey, maybe we can write a fable about this? :P

RB, from what I meant was that I thought water buffalo just sat there and "took it" from the other animals. I've never seen them stand up and defend one of their own.

I think K-Mac's right, we actually might be witnessing a tiny, tiny step in evolution. Because now, that calf will survive and produce offspring and teach it's offspring how to band together to get out of situations like that. Maybe. I'm no biologist but this proves that, over time, things will begin to change. Plus, that little guy was so tough, he survived 9 lions and 2 crocs! He's got some good genes or good luck.

Also, K-Mac, they should put this into a Lion King movie! :lol:

"Simba..."

"Dad? Is that you? What is it?'

"Don't f*ck with those water buffalo anymore! ... They're tricky and will come with all their friends!"

"Okay..."

"Seriously, I saw it the other day on YouTube!"

:lol::lol:

K, did you see the other video I posted? It's the Cobra Heart thing I was talking about last night.

K, did you see the other video I posted? It's the Cobra Heart thing I was talking about last night.

I didn't see it, but I think I'll pass. I'm kinda queasy about stuff like that. Your vivid description in chat was enough for me. :lol:

I guess I think animals are smarter than most give them credit for.

I'd rather not distract this thread from it's original purpose. There are threads on here discussing animal intelligence. I merely meant my response as stated; the actions we observe the animals take in the video do not consititute sufficient evidence to identify what level, if any, of cognitive, rational decision-making is going on in those animals heads. You and Mammon may be convinced otherwise, but I am not.

If this needs to be discussed further, these would be more appropriate threads.

My all-time favorite commercial:

I wonder if you're being sarcastic, because I think that was the worst set of commercials ever. I, like K-Mac, didn't want to eat there after that.

However, I forgot to post the super awesome video of the --

Algorithm March!!!

Watch that one first to understand how it works on a

;):lol:

I have to ask: is it a real Quiznos comercial, or an SNL parody of one?
Recently a New York Taco Bell was in the news for its rats. When I saw the Quizno thing on YouTube, I thought they must have had rats somewhere too, and I figured someone was making a parody it.

I wonder if you're being sarcastic, because I think that was the worst set of commercials ever. I, like K-Mac, didn't want to eat there after that.

Actually, I wasn't being sarcastic at all. I cracked up the first time I saw that commercial. Oddly enough, the commercials got cancelled because it somehow made people think Quizno's wasn't abiding by the health code.

Inventor/Author/Human Forecaster/"Futurist" Ray Kurzweil gives a rushed overview of what he believes. It seems plausible and gives something to think about. Will humans advance enough to enable practically endless advancement(/life)?

Inventor/Author/Human Forecaster/"Futurist" Ray Kurzweil gives a rushed overview of what he believes. It seems plausible and gives something to think about. Will humans advance enough to enable practically endless advancement(/life)?

Great video, Jaskin!

Just a few scatter shot points.

His analysis of exponential growth makes complete sense to me. My only problem is that I think he's overly optimistic about the rate of that exponential growth. For instance, he said that by 2010 computers will disappear. That's less than three years away, and I don't see that happening at all. I think that talk was given in 2002, so he was looking 8 years down the line. I was greatly interested in his analysis of biochemistry, because I've always thought that was the area were improvements will have the biggest positive effect on human lives in many ways. Robotic blood cells making the body more efficient, now that is neat. I read Eric Drexler's book on nanotechnology (Engines of Creation), and I agree that it's the engineering field of the future.

One thing he doesn't seem to take into account, which makes him too narrowly focused on technological growth, is philosophy. Our freedoms are vital to our success.

I didn't agree with the point at the beginning about power. Nuclear power is the safest and cleanest form of power, and the problem of solar is a physical limitation, not an engineering limitation.

Overall, a very thought provoking talk. I'm going to have to look into this guy. Thanks Jaskin! :thumbsup:

I need to read and watch everyones posted stuff in this thread but I wanted to through this video in real quick. It's an awesome song, and I heard it first when I saw this video. Vampire Hunter D (awesome!) and Blood (never seen it) are the animes in the video if you're curious.

However, I wanted to say the song in the video feels like your "going into the final battle" does anyone else see that? Just curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ8j3LVOt3o...ted&search=

Wow!! This video just blew me away. I love the song and the way it went with Lion King was just cool, the concept was executed perfectly and all the scenes matched the lyrics and everything. It was amazing! This is definately one of my favorites.

Very interesting video! Thanks for the link! If even half of that comes true we will be a lot better off!

Edited by DragonMaci

I am a huge fan of House MD, heres one of my favorite scenes. As far as I know it infringes no copyrights, but if it does, feel free to delete it, mods.

A good show, but it started to drop off towards the end of the third season. In the final episode he did make things interesting for himself during the fourth season. Hopefully season four will be better than season 3.