Objectivism Online Forum

How has Objectivism changed your relationships?

Rate this topic

Since I still consider myself a student of Objectivism, I hesitate to say that Objectivism changed my relationship with my husband, but discovering Ayn Rand's philosophies and reading Atlas Shrugged definitely gave me the clarity I needed to make the recent decision to divorce my husband.

We've been together 14 years and married 9 of those, and although I still love him and care for him deeply, I recently realized that he is, quite literally, the only thing in my life that makes me unhappy. I have lost quite a bit of weight and my broken leg is healing nicely, so physically, I feel the best I have in years. (And look much better too!) :) I love my career and my employer is awesome and compensates me well. I love my home, my neighbors, even my car. I certainly love myself, I think I'm reasonably intelligent, and I think I have a lot going for me in general. So why am I letting my husband bring me down? He has obvious issues with stress/anger management, and I'm simply not willing to continue to try to help someone who claims he needs no help.

I feel very confident with my decision, but these things take time and as the weeks go by before the divorce is finalized, I'm sure some doubt will creep in. I feel weird crediting a philosophy and/or a book with my decision, but I feel they played a key role in my decision. Is that nuts? Everyone said that AS can change your life, but is this too much? I don't think so. I need to be happy and his emotional and psychological problems seem to be the only thing standing in my way.

So my question to you is, has Objectivism and/or AR's philosophies changed your relationships, and if so, how?

Of course, learning Objectivism changes relationships, it ought to.

Objectivism provides a rational approach to relationship, and dismisses one that is based on commonly ideas of "help" (i.e. some sacrifice). So, if one does indeed studies and begins to understand Objectivism, then it is inevitable that one will apply these new ideas to one's current relationships. And thus come the changes.

To myself, learning Objectivism brought me a new relationship as well as changing current ones. Definitely fun.

Edit: clarifications

Edited by Olex

To myself, learning Objectivism brought me a new relationship as well as changing current ones. Definitely fun.

I agree! Everyone keeps giving me their condolences like someone/something has died, but I look at it as a new beginning, my renaissance I keep calling it. :thumbsup: I understand and appreciate their condolences and I'm sure I will have my moments, but I already feel so much better just having made the decision and I'm looking forward to moving on.

There's a related thread here, dealing with friends and change in general rather than changes to romantic relationships.

Thank you, sNerd! That is an interesting post, and although not about marriage, it is certainly relevant. I guess it also explains why I recently joined FROG and look forward to future meetings...looking for like-minded, new friends. :thumbsup: