Objectivism Online Forum

Physics Olympiad in Iran

Rate this topic

DarkWaters

Incidentally, the United States team won!

Okay, I see that I misinterpreted the Washington Post headline. When the Washington Post said that the U.S. team triumphed , they meant that the U.S. team tied in third overall in terms of medal count. That is still quite an achievement for the youngsters!

I hope that the kids were not working on the physics of uranium enrichment.

Edited by DarkWaters

• 2 months later...
Unless you are being sarcastic, I don't see why the scientists and other intellectuals of Iran should be painted as "evil" repeatedly. I think it is a good step for Iran to host this event. The problem is with the Iranian government, not with its people.

You can't sever the populace from its government. The ones who are fighting against the government you can, but without a large segment offering support, the Iranian government would not exist as it does today.

Unless you are being sarcastic, I don't see why the scientists and other intellectuals of Iran should be painted as "evil" repeatedly.
You're making an unjustified leap in the context of this thread. But: they have had 25 years to throw that government out, and they've proven that they can if they want. Recall that the current president was actually elected over a somewhat better candidate.

Unless you are being sarcastic, I don't see why the scientists and other intellectuals of Iran should be painted as "evil" repeatedly.

I was not being sarcastic. The International Physics Olympiad was in fact held in Iran.

Where in my thread did I paint the scientists and other intellectuals of Iran as "evil" repeatedly?

You can't sever the populace from its government. The ones who are fighting against the government you can, but without a large segment offering support, the Iranian government would not exist as it does today.
But, do you know if the people involved in this context support the government? Or don't individuals matter anymore?

But, do you know if the people involved in this context support the government? Or don't individuals matter anymore?

I think unless someone can present anything to the contrary, its safe to assume they are at least willing to accept the current government, and to engage in an act that potentially furthers their prestige and acceptance in the scientific community, something which I don't think anyone that had a major problem with the government should be doing. And they definitely should have a major problem with the Iranian government, enough not to do anything like this.