Objectivism Online Forum

The Most Pathetic Solicitation Ever

Rate this topic

By Diana from NoodleFood,cross-posted by MetaBlog

The following is surely the most pathetic e-mail solicitation I've ever received:

Hello, I am Robert. I am a single father of 3. Two of my children live 5 hours from me. To help raise them, I decided to write a book. It is a non-fiction book about relationships. They are too young yet, but when the become adults, I know they will benefit from it.

I am also trying to teach them a lesson. When I told my daughter about writing a book, she asked "is it going to be in some stores?" I paused and answered that of course it would. Truth be told, I cannot do this alone. It is my first book, and it is self-published, but I do not have the money to have my book sold in stores.

I would really like to prove to my children that it is possible to do something when you put your mind and heart into it. I believe that I could have my book in-store if I could sell 500 copies from the online store where I published it.

It is my intention to give 10% of my profits to a charity.

I would really appreciate your help. If you or someone you know is interested in relationships, please have a look at my book. You can go online to preview and buy it.

The web address is:
http://www.lulu.com/content/1022330

Thank you greatly for taking the time to read this letter.

Best to you,

Robert Charest

So, I'm supposed to consider advice on relationships from...

• A man who chooses to live five hours from his children.

• A man who makes serious promises to his children that he cannot keep by his own actions -- in the hope that random strangers will pick up his slack for him.

• A man who attempts to induce people to buy his book by appealing to pity and altruism -- without any mention of the supposed merits of the book in question.

Gee... I think I'll pass.

Out of curiosity, I checked out the preview of the book. It's even more pathetic -- in both style and content -- than I would have imagined. Oddly enough, that's what I expected: my capacity to imagine the banal only stretches so far.143661678

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/archives/002727.html

You made a public spectacle out of someone you deemed "beneath" you. I hope that boosted your self-esteem.
What does that mean? Does the guy's proposition deserve praise, then? Or, can you make no judgement about his proposition?

What does that mean? Does the guy's proposition deserve praise, then? Or, can you make no judgement about his proposition?
No. A person with class would simply ignore it and move on.There is no point to the ridicule.
Wow, the irony. Aren't you doing the same thing?
There is always that problem.I tried in my post to treat it as a peer to peer issue.If the OP considered their comments to be peer to peer, then I humbly apologize.

You made a public spectacle out of someone you deemed "beneath" you. I hope that boosted your self-esteem.

Diana was absolutely correct to deem this louse beneath her. Your implication otherwise is terribly unjust. If anything, Diana's reaction is rather restrained. I would not have been so kind.

But I get the impression that you somehow think that a judgment of this kind, as such, is a problem. Whatever philosophy you got that idea from, it is not welcome here.