Objectivism Online Forum

The Enemies of Reason

Rate this topic

For those of us who subscribe to reason, Dawkins anti-woo-woo lectures are entertaining but unnecessary. For those who believe in nonsense, Dawkin's arguments will make little or no difference. I suspect there are very few people who would be dissuaded by Dawkin's presentations. There is no harm in preaching to the choir, but I see little good in it either.

Bob Kolker

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, I hadn't seen this documentary - thanks for posting!

What Bob says is regretfully true, but I disagree that there is little good in Dawkins' "preaching". Although Rand said the exact same thing years before, not everyone finds Rand first. Rand has allowed many people to work through the philosophy of reason, and Dawkins, an extremely talented writer (in my opinion) has the potential to do the same (I would be surprised to hear that he hadn't "converted" many thus far.) As a person who was irrational before reading Rand (granted, I had to be at least slightly rational to understand her ideas), I can safely say that people CAN change.

I've also noticed that Dawkins particularly emphasizes the evil of the irrational. Many of the atheists and rational people that I know "open-mindedly" accept other religion, and refuse to touch on the topic, passively saying people are entitled to their own opinions (we all know this story). While I agree that force should never be used to convert people to atheism (or any way of thinking), I don't ever think it should be something that is passively accepted. I think there is much that a rational person can gain from Dawkins' argument, especially in this respect.

Not ground-breaking, I agree, but still refreshing to hear. It's so comforting to know that there are people in the world, albeit only a few, who are guided only by reason.

• 5 months later...