Objectivism Online Forum

How 'bout 'dem Blues?

Rate this topic

RationalBiker

I noticed another thread discussing jazz, and that prompted to me finally post about the Blues, a music form I appreciate. Are there any other Blues fans on the forum?

There are several artists I like including BB King, Robert Cray, Robert Johnson, Eric Clapton, Keb Mo', Bonnie Raitt and a few others. While there are some classic blues artists in that list, you may notice most are more contemporary.

I find that many blues songs (and artists) have a great sense of life (at least as I understand it). While many sound melancholic and depressing, the lyrics often represent a strong individual spirit in the face of adversity. While many songs sound like they are complaining, the subjects of the song may have been knocked down temporarily, but they get back up and keep on living.

Granted, there are lots of blues songs where the subjects make some bad decisions, and continue to do so, often with full knowledge of the consequences. In fact, Robert Cray has a song called Consequences which talks about just that. He sings about having an affair that is about to be discovered, but decides to continue to have the affair anyway knowing all the damage that will be done. While I love the song, it's clearly a matter of questionable morality and ethics.

But then he has two other songs, March On, and Bouncin' Back which describe going through bad experiences and surviving them with good attitudes.

I was glad to see Cray perform last week at a local festival.

VES

As an instrumentalist myself, I've always appreciated instrumental jazz and blues more than most vocal charts, however, the little that I've heard from Stevie Ray Vaughan and BB King I've liked.

I identify with the sense of life depicted in blues music (the music itself that is, not the lyrics), though I find it very hard to present it in a concretized manner.

I also love listening to jazz musicians play blues charts. My favorites: John Coltrane, JJ Johnson, Oscar Peterson, and Joe Pass.

And yes, I like Stevie Ray Vaughan and that Texas blues / rock sound. Then another on the blues / rock front is George Thoroughgood.

I like some folk as well as some of that "old timey" sound as was featured in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, particularly Allison Krause.

Then there's bluegrass... and beyond bluegrass is the bluegrass / jazz stylings of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, some truly original sounding tunes.

I could go on about a lot of different styles I like... heck, I like music! :)

VES

I don't know if you would classify Norah Jones as blues, but I think it's damn near. Her music is awesome, in that it's not mainstream, yet it is. She's got such a unique sound, and it's pleasant on the ears. Often, I'll play it at work at night, and the patrons seem to enjoy it as well. :D

While Norah Jones' musical style is downbeat for the most part, her lyrics are usually not blues-like at all. However, I would agree she is very talented. I saw her perform last year and despite some technical issues, her performance was very enjoyable.

VES

Stevie Ray Vaughan, B.B. King, and to an extent Robert Cray, are some of my favorite blues musicians. It is truly one of the most unique musical genres, and I always find it relaxing which is important for me these day since my stress level has decided to skyrocket in the last year.

... and beyond bluegrass is the bluegrass / jazz stylings of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, some truly original sounding tunes.

Good stuff. I recently got their latest album, Little Worlds (the three-disc set), and the more I listen to it the more I love it. Victor is truly a bass god, and the rest of them are geniuses too!

I like some folk as well as some of that "old timey" sound as was featured in Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?, particularly Allison Krause.

Then there's bluegrass... and beyond bluegrass is the bluegrass / jazz stylings of Bela Fleck and the Flecktones, some truly original sounding tunes.

I grew up with my parents listening to big band and my sisters listened to either folk or acid rock. (hey, it was the early 70's) I was a bluegrass fan but never appreciated folk until I moved to Austin. I exposed myself to tons of singer/songwriters and developed an appreciation of the creative process that goes into playing a guitar.

I've played a trombone for 20 years so I've got a pretty good love of jazz and dixieland. Though most recently I've picked up the ukulele. It's surprising how much you can get out of an instrument that small. You really do have to finesse the sound out of it but once you do, it's a very nice sound. It can be made to sound like a mandolin so I've done some Hawaiian/bluegrass with it.