Objectivism Online Forum

New Sun Waves Discovered

Rate this topic

DragonMaci

• 3 weeks later...
Scientists have made an interesting new discovery about the the sun. If you are at all interested in this sort of thing you should read the article. It is sort, precise, and to the point. Also, it coevers an intersting topic. It is about newly discovered "waves that help transport the sun's energy out into space."

Very interesting article. I noticed that it is based on the work of Hannes Alfven, who is a brilliant, but rather under appreciated physicist. He won the Nobel prize (which he shared with another physicist) on his work in electrodynamics. He is no crank, but a first rate physicists, yet he denied the Big Bang hypothesis to the end. Magnetohydrodynamics was his thing. He believed that electromagnetic forces on planets (relative to gravitation) are much more important than usually believed.

See http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics...ven-lecture.pdf

I am glad to see some of his magnetohydrodynamics work is producing important results.

Bob Kolker

• 4 months later...
Very interesting article. I noticed that it is based on the work of Hannes Alfven, who is a brilliant, but rather under appreciated physicist. He won the Nobel prize (which he shared with another physicist) on his work in electrodynamics. He is no crank, but a first rate physicists, yet he denied the Big Bang hypothesis to the end. Magnetohydrodynamics was his thing. He believed that electromagnetic forces on planets (relative to gravitation) are much more important than usually believed.

See http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/physics...ven-lecture.pdf

I am glad to see some of his magnetohydrodynamics work is producing important results.

Bob Kolker

Hello Bob, the work of Alfven is fascinating. He was a smart guy and as you say not a crank. I find it interesting in his speech you link to his criticism on the state of plasma and thermonuclear physics.

Quote: “The cosmical plasma physics of today is far less advanced than the thermonuclear research physics. It is to some extent the playground of theoreticians who have never seen a plasma in a laboratory. Many of them still believe in formulae which we know from laboratory experiments to be wrong. The astrophysical correspondence to the thermonuclear crisis has not yet come. I think it is evident now that in certain respects the first approach to the physics of cosmical plasmas has been a failure. It turns out that in several important cases this approach has not given even a first approximation to truth but led into dead-end streets from which we now have to turn back.

The reason for this is that several of the basic concepts on which the theories are founded, are not applicable to the condition prevailing in cosmos. They are « generally accepted » by most theoreticians, they are developed with the most sophisticated mathematical methods and it is only the plasma itself which does not « understand », how beautiful the theories are and absolutely refuses to obey them."