Objectivism Online Forum

Books/sites for Economics?

Rate this topic

I. Kant

Principles of Economics by Carl Menger. Its been awhile since I read it but it is definately a book of principles. Menger goes on, at length and perhaps a bit too much, discussing economic value. He presents an interesting way of classifying economic goods(of higher and lower order), which ultimately reduce to the lowest order(consumption/direct satisfaction). Unlike today's economics, Menger wrote from the economic perspective of MAN rather than men.

It may not be an "advanced" text, but it sets the stage for such. As I understand it, the Austrians were influenced by this book.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...=books&n=507846

I heard about that book often, its even been backed by Objectivists book clubs. :angry:

I wonder about the connection between this book and Misses. Is it a build upon Austrian Economics or does it propagate something different.

I don't know if Sowell is an Austrian. He definitely thinks of himself as a classical economist. Von Mises is never specifically mentioned. The book nevertheless is a very sound primer on economics. Its more comprehensive than Hazlet's 'Economics in one lesson' which is the second book on economics that you should read. Eventually making your way up to George Reissman's magnum opus 'Capitalism' which is huge and will take you months to read but is well worth it.

and i thought that a good way to begin with economics was to read:

Human Action by Misses.

are you guys suggesting that a better beginning would be:

Thomas Sowell's Basic Economics

or

Principles of Economics by Carl Menger

instead of the first one i mentioned.

Did Ayn Rand ever suggested a staring book on this subject ?

• 4 years later...

*** Mod's note: merged with an earlier thread. - sN ***

I want to get a few books on Economics that support a laissez faire market, and I was wondering which ones are the best (other then the obvious Ayn Rand ones). I was thinking about a few books from the Austrian School - Mises, Rothbard, etc. They may be anarchists, but they had good economic arguments. From what I remember, Ayn Rand favored the Austrian School. If you have any input, I'd like to hear.

And if you have any other ideas on non-fiction texts (not necessarily economics) that seem to be behind Objectivist theories, please let me know. I'm going on a bit of a Amazon spree this weekend. :D

Edited by softwareNerd
Added 'merged' notice