Objectivism Online Forum

Does anyone know of a FAQ for Objectivism?

Rate this topic

Oh, btw, out of curiousity, how does objectivism feel about guns and its control?

One of the most important rights that a man has is, if not the most important right is his right to life.

While one does not have the right to initiate the use of force on another, one does have the right to defend ones life.

For me I think of gun control as making sure all of the bullets go into the target.

Thinking you can write about Objectivism without reading Ayn Rand?

Is that a Kantian approach - or just your own?

About Objectivism as it really is-in-itself?

No one can do that anyway. It will just be a "construct" in your mind.

Of course if he actually read it (or thought he did, since one cannot be sure if one is actually reading-in-itself), it might help him construct his construct, transcendentally speaking, that is.

On the other hand...ummm...sorry, I got disconnected from reality and forgot where I was.

Fred Weiss (Me. Kantian)

I. Kant,

How Objectivism feels? That's an odd combination of and choice of words. First, things which do not have the faculty of consciousness whatsoever cannot feel, and second, one or another's feelings on a matter is not the approach to knowledge on that matter.

About guns and their control? What indicates to you that Objectivism has a position one way or the other?

Objectivism is not based on any other philosophy. Its approach to existence and to knowledge of it is profoundly Aristotelean, as well as many identifications of fact. But Objectivist ethics differs from Aristotle's approach very much, and their respective validations of the evil of theft have little in common. Aristotle is known as the philosopher of reason, not as the philosopher of egoism. (This is not to disparage Aristotle; for two millenia, nobody has risen to a stature like his, and he is the giant on whose shoulders Rand stood.)

• 1 month later...