Objectivism Online Forum

Renaming ObjectivismOnline

Rate this topic

I think we should get away from using the word "online" since the "WWW" thing is not such a novelty anymore.

Oh, well if you wanted to actually change it and not just resolve the dilemma with the overlap site...

It might be a bit long, but: RealityReasonRights.com

Actually, that's only two more letters.

themerketplace.com makes it sound too much like Ebay or something does it not?

How about themarketplaceofideas.com? I don't really like long URLS, though. But then I bookmark everything and that's not much of a problem.

Edited to add: on that vein, stockmarketofthespirit.com

Edited by D'kian

How about themarketplaceofideas.com? I don't really like long URLS, though. But then I bookmark everything and that's not much of a problem.

Edited to add: on that vein, stockmarketofthespirit.com

Hmm the first one is a bit as you say. I like that second one though, very catchy I think, and is available!

I will keep both names active for a few years, so it should not have a big impact.I think we should get away from using the word "online" since the "WWW" thing is not such a novelty anymore.

I'm not sure Google prioritizes web search just by name, but by how networked the page it.

I would seriously condsider NOT changing the name. Your Google equity is more important than a simple confusion with someone typing in the .com vs .net domain name. When I search Objectivsim right now, OO.net comes up on teh first page and OO.com is nowhere to be found. Why evacuate the high ground?

Also, when I search Objectivism Online .net comes up #1, .com is nowhere to be found.

Edited by KendallJ

I am thinking of renaming ObjectivismOnline.

While .com is kind of the default domain indicator that people think of when they think of a website, I don't think you ought to change the name of objectivismonline.net merely because it might be confused with objectivismonline.com. There are people out there who would want you to change the domain name because having Objectivism in the URL implies that one is consistent with the philosophy of Objectivism, and they don't think oo.net does that sufficiently enough to warrant having Objectivism in the URL. So, I think you need to think about this more than just in terms of .com or .net, but rather in terms of what you want your domain name to indicate about your website. A lot of people new to Objectivism show up on oo.net looking for answers, in part because Objectivism is part of the URL. So I think part of your thinking about a name change should include the question of whether or not you want to run a website that draws people in because of the name Objectivism -- and then try to remain consistent enough with that name to warrant having Objectivism in the URL.

Regarding changing the name to a URL that has Ayn Rand in it, I would advise against that on legal grounds, since Ayn Rand is a registered trademark (of the Estate of Ayn Rand?), and if they wanted to they could probably shut you down. That's one reason I did not seek a URL with Ayn Rand in it for my own website. And since I wanted to present my own ideas, some of which are controversial even in Objectivist circles, I chose not to have Objectivism in the URL either. I certainly push Objectivism, but some of what I write is more of my own interpretation or an extension or an application of Objectivism rather than the official philosophy of Objectivism created by Ayn Rand. If I had written something like OPAR, then I would have chosen something more like Objectivism.com.

The bottom line is that a URL is like a company name, and what do you want your URL name to say about your website? Do you want to continue to promote Objectivism or do you just want a meeting place not necessarily centered around Objectivism? Do you want it to be much more open (by implication) to anyone having anything to say about Ayn Rand? I would advise against this, as I think oo.net does a reasonably good job of keeping the postings at least close to Objectivism via the moderators and other participants. Changing the name will take away that incentive to do that. In other words, a name like the meetingplace.com isn't specific enough to warrant making sure that the posts at least counter anti-Objectivists who might post there. But, to me at least, since Objectivism in the URL of oo.net, I think I am justified in presenting my views according to my understanding of Objectivism, whereas a more generic URL wouldn't do that for me. It would just become yet another forum that has no ideology behind it. If I decide to make a forum out of my own website, it will be pre-moderated to insure the consistency with what I want to promote.

The litigious git in me wants to know who used "ObjectivismOnline" first, or who might have a trademark on it, or who might be able to file for a trademark on it based on earlier prior use.

Though if you were to change it, ObjectivismCentral wouldn't be a bad choice.

~Q

I second Qwertz for the litigious approach. Have you consulted a lawyer to see if you have any claim at all to objectivismonline.com? If not, can you buy the domain? Is it being offered for sale at a reasonable price? Because of the equity you have built up, it would be better, if possible, to avoid changing the name.

I like the idea of keeping the url as is and if you don't the word "Objectivism" should be in it, so as to make it clear it's a forum for Objectivism. B)

Btw, it looks like ObjectivismOnline.com has been hacked and taken over. I'm disappointed they let that happen.

Aside from my ideas, and out of the ones suggested by others, I really like RealityReasonRights.com.

It's not imperative that Objectivism be in the URL. People find the site via search engine anyway, so you just need a good tag. You don't need to advertise it. Those who are genuinely interested will find it. Besides, I've always thought that those who don't actively read philosophy are intimidated by "ism" words.

• 6 months later...
Aside from my ideas, and out of the ones suggested by others, I really like RealityReasonRights.com.

It's not imperative that Objectivism be in the URL. People find the site via search engine anyway, so you just need a good tag. You don't need to advertise it. Those who are genuinely interested will find it. Besides, I've always thought that those who don't actively read philosophy are intimidated by "ism" words.

In that vein, how about theobjectivists.com? Or realityexists.com?

But I must say I like RealityReasonRights.com

Hi there,

This is my first post!

Here are my suggestions for a new URL name:

QAObjectivism.com (as in Q&A)

RationalRand.com

PremiseCheck.com

CheckYourPremises.com

I tested them, and they are not held. Perhaps I'll think of more later.

Have a good day everyone!

Do not make any changes. No matter what new name you may select, someone else may pick a very similar name for their own site. Will you change again? Will you continue to flee from competitors? Fleeing is not competing.

Take the time to consider Google's page rank algorithm, and reconsider whether objectismonline.com is a threat or not. At the moment, there isn't even a page at objectivismonline.com. I see no threat, and continuing to build up links to this site gives you an insurmountable head start over any competitor.

Any website good enough to compete with yours even with your head start objectively deserves its traffic and should not regarded as stealing your traffic.

Just purchase the .com url when it eventually becomes available.

I am thinking of renaming ObjectivismOnline. The reason is that objectivismonline.com redirects to another forum, which some people have either confused with this one or assumed that there is some relationship between the two.

GC now owns objectivismonline.com and it now directs to this website, so having this conversation is now pointless.