Objectivism Online Forum

The case for concealed carry . . .

Rate this topic

I cannot even begin to tell you what a personal nerve this video struck with me. I sit here with chills and full of anger. I have been threatened in my own home with a lead pipe. Had this pitiful excuse for a human being (I have more colorful words for him that I will not use here and now) been attacking my car like that, he would have been run over at the very least. I typically keep my .44 in the nightstand since my attack occurred at home, but apparently I need it strapped to my hip.

I kept wondering why the driver didn't just run him over, especially once the psycho was behind the vehicle, but I know exactly why. When you are randomly attacked for no reason, you are so shocked and unprepared that you really don't know what to do, and it all happens so fast. In hindsight, this person probably wished they would have run him over, but in the heat of the moment, you just want out of the situation.

The really sad part is, is that if this man is ever caught, he will probably go to jail for a very short amount of time, if at all, and be turned loose after serving only a fraction of his sentence. The victim will live with the fear and insecurity they felt during this attack for the rest of his/her life.

Edited by K-Mac

I think that may not be it. Realistically, if he had run the guy over it is very likely that the driver would have been treated like a criminal.

That's the all too likely outcome (disproportionate force and all that). But I think K-Mac makes a good point. If you are shocked and unprepared you won't be likely to figure out what to do. Unexpected attacks produce anxiety and fear. You have to think beforehand what you can do about it. During the attack it's simply too late.

I was robbed at gunpoint once a couple of years ago. I had thought about such things beforehand (living in such a high-crime city, after all, is sufficient reason). I did well enough. I didn't drive the thieves away, but I walked out unscathed (phisically), and I bluffed them out of most of the valuables I was carrying.

The fear ans insecurity do remain. I was unable to even drive past the street where it happened for months. Even now, I don't go there unless I absolutely must. I am more paranoid about strangers in the street, much more observant, and engage in more defensive tactics than I did before. I wish I could carry a concealed gun, but the law in Mexico City does not allow it. Hell, even things like a taser or pepper spray are techincally ilelgal (meaning you could be arrested fro defending yourself with them, and if that's not crazy then nothing is).

Also, there was not enough room to maneuver the vehicle properly. Running him over would not have been as easy as it might sound at first glance. He could easily step out of the way of any such attempt at that range and then be even madder. If you're going to fight back, you have to be sure you can do it efficaciously.

I recommend caliber .45, myself.