Objectivism Online Forum

Young White Evangelicals

Rate this topic

This is what really scares me...the shift of religion to the Democratic Party that many of you plan to vote for. I am still undecided, but this isn't helping to encourage me to abandon the Republicans.

http://pewresearch.org/pubs/605/young-whit...ll-conservative

This is what really scares me...the shift of religion to the Democratic Party that many of you plan to vote for. I am still undecided, but this isn't helping to encourage me to abandon the Republicans.

Nice...because the to parties were not similar enough already. So we can now vote for either the religious party that steals our money or the religious party that steals our money. The only difference being which special interest groups our money gets redistributed to. I should consider moving to a more capitalist friendly country...like Venezuela maybe?

I quickly read the article so correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm still not voting Republican and voters switching parties as in the article doesn't scare me anywhere near as much as if the political party itself were switching, or suddenly becoming affiliated with religion.

I just read the article. While it cites data showing young evangelicals moving away from the Republican party, I don't see any data showing that those people are now supporting the Democrats.

It's just suggested as a possible trend. (Where else are they going to go?) With any luck, the religious right will start their own party. (But I'm not holding my breath.)

There's an interesting liberal blog that discusses why evangelicals are a good fit with the left. It's not just opinion; it contains a lot of real-life examples. The author actually bemoans the nihilism of the left, and -- though he does not appear to be religious -- he seems to envy the value-orientation and passion of Christians. Check it out: Revolution in Jesusland.

There's an interesting liberal blog that discusses why evangelicals are a good fit with the left. It's not just opinion; it contains a lot of real-life examples. The author actually bemoans the nihilism of the left, and -- though he does not appear to be religious -- he seems to envy the value-orientation and passion of Christians. Check it out: Revolution in Jesusland.

Interesting and scary. Did Rome fall because it became Christian? Or did Rome become Christian because it was coming apart at the seams? To the extent that Western civilization became secular it prospered both morally and materially. To the extent that Western civilization returns to the Agape, it courts ruin and disaster.

The idea is not to strive to be Christ-like. The idea is to return to being the Original Adam in whose hands the world was placed. It was the Original Adam that gave the animals and plants names and decided how they might be used. The Original Adam had a body and he was not the least bit ashamed of it. The Original Adam was none other than Prometheus. We have got to get back to taking fire from the Gods and we should be doing it without being the least bit ashamed or afraid.

Friedrich Nietzche, who was a nut case, was right about one thing: he detested Christianity as a religion fit for slaves. The only sin is being ourselves and apologizing for it. No more apologies.

Bob Kolker

With any luck, the religious right will start their own party. (But I'm not holding my breath.)

James Dobson has suggested that they might do just that if Rudy is nominated. While I think that will pretty much guarantee that Hillary wins in '08, I think it might be a good thing, long-term. They will never win an election, and it would purge the Republican party of its primary corrupting influence.

With any luck, the religious right will start their own party. (But I'm not holding my breath.)

That would be a bad move for them, it will never happen. As a significant part of the Republican party, they hold a lot of power in the political process, which they would forfeit by forming a third party. They will simply continue to do what they've been doing for years, slowly mold the GOP to fit their philosophy. One fairly secular candidate won't be enough to scare them away.