Objectivism Online Forum

Happy 50th, Atlas

Rate this topic

Mimpy

There are probably only a few people who can fully appreciate Atlas' 50 years because not too many of us have been exposed to the novel that long. Still, however, it is an incredible feat that even fifty years later the book is changing lives and is more popular than ever. That means things are changing, even if just to broaden people's minds and help them stay open to reason.

Atlas Shrugged is my favorite novel for its philosophical meaning, exciting plot, and literary value. Ayn Rand was not only an amazing philosopher, but she was also one of the best writers. The novel changed my life, as I'm sure it did for many of you.

So happy 50th, Atlas!

The novel changed my life, as I'm sure it did for many of you.

So happy 50th, Atlas!

Good idea starting this thread! I hope to see all kinds of replies!

I know that when I first read Atlas, I was disappointed when I had finished reading it...but soon realized I was never finished reading it...

My copy is in severely bad shape from all the practical use that I have gotten out of it. Books as such are very practical to me, especially this one.

I'd also like to point out how successful the ARI's efforts have been of getting Ayn Rand novels (The Fountainhead and Anthem) out in the classrooms. Many of you already know of the ARI's Free Books to Teachers Program ...well, seeing how Atlas is turning 50, the ARI has already started an Atlas Shrugged Initiative , in which Atlas is also available upon request in the classrooms. The recent requests can be filled by our continued contributions to this campaign. After I make this reply, I'll be making yet another donation to this program, but this time specifically to the Atlas Shrugged Initiative.

I want others to follow. Say to me, "I, too, donated." Is a $5 dollar minimum too much for you to afford? Think of the investment you are making... HERE is an excellent article written by Dr. Brook on this program.

Happy "golden anniversary" Atlas! Thank you for changing my life, and continuing to try to change the philosophic climate of today, even from 50 years ago...

Recent ARI articles about the anniversary:

The Influence of Atlas Shrugged by Yaron Brook

The Appeal of Ayn Rand by Onkar Ghate

50th Anniversary Exhibits

Rand Novels Flood Classrooms by Mrs. Marilee Dragsdahl

Edited by intellectualammo

I remember reading through Atlas Shrugged, thinking that the main part of the story was going to be about how they lived in the Valley; not the world falling apart without them. Hence I felt a bit short changed by the end. But I still love the book. It took me about to month to finish (I'm a slow reader - I read in about 15-30 minute bursts a day).

I think The Fountainhead had way more impact on me, whilst Atlas Shrugged wetted my intellectual appetite. It turned Objectivism from a vague abstraction to a practical part of life (after all, the heroes of Atlas Shrugged were intellectuals, whilst Roark was an Architect!).

I remember reading through Atlas Shrugged, thinking that the main part of the story was going to be about how they lived in the Valley; not the world falling apart without them. Hence I felt a bit short changed by the end.

I wanted to see more of the Valley life as well...or more of the Uncharted Forest life...

I know that in the novoul that I am writing, I try to end conflicts and reach a climax early (even though it happens almost 200p in) and try to write on as far as I can without any conflicts at all. That's where I am right now in it. I'm like "I wrote this entire story to get to this point, and now I'm going to fully enjoy it!!" I could care less how many readers I lose from that, because by the time "they" get to that point in the story, "very few" will still be reading it anyways. I do not judge my success as a writer with this particular novoul by the "quantity" of readers, but rather the "quality" of my reader(s). My audience is limited to begin with and then I "limit" it even further...way further...

I'm glad you think so, Tenure. It further reaffirms my perspectives.

Edited by intellectualammo