Objectivism Online Forum

College Applications

Rate this topic

tobyk100

I'm currently applying for college and I'm filling out all the forms and essays. I was wondering if you think that talking about Objectivism or Ayn Rand's novels (possibly a response to the essay question about a fictional character) would be a negative when the college reads my application. It could make me look educated and thoughtful but then again what if they are vehementaly opposed to Rand's views, as I assume most liberal educators are.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

I believe I referenced liking Atlas Shrugged in one of my essays, and I also listed Semifinalist in the Anthem essay contest as an accomplishment, but that's as far as it went. FWIW, I'm currently a Freshman at Caltech. I think that what you write about in your essays partly depends on the college you're applying to, but for the most part I wouldn't make Ayn Rand or Objectivism the focus of your essay. I don't think mentioning it in an essay where it's relevant, (mine, I believe was on the importance of passion for what you do), is a problem, but in essays where Ayn Rand or Objectivism are the focus I think it would be all too easy to make the essay more about Ayn Rand than it is about you, and colleges aren't going to like that (especially if they don't like her).

Good luck! College applications are brutal, but well worth it. :)

I'm currently applying for college and I'm filling out all the forms and essays. I was wondering if you think that talking about Objectivism or Ayn Rand's novels (possibly a response to the essay question about a fictional character) would be a negative when the college reads my application. It could make me look educated and thoughtful but then again what if they are vehementaly opposed to Rand's views, as I assume most liberal educators are.

Your thoughts?

Thanks.

It's not so much about what you write but rather how well you write it. Objectivism is as good a topic as any if you can write it in an articulate, intelligent, and most importantly fresh and entertaining fashion. You have to know that the application reviewers have to read hundreds and sometimes thousands of essays a day. If you write a dull essay on the tenets of Objectivism that looked as if you are just spitting it out of a book, you will probably be ignored or worse, be thought of as pretentious and trite.

I wouldn't worry about the reviewers disagreeing with your viewpoint. There are a million view points in liberal arts colleges from communism to anarchism, and most schools are fairly tolerant of different ideas unless you're writing about neo-Nazism or some such. And frankly, chances are the reviewers wouldn't really even know what Objectivism actually is, let alone be vehemently opposed to it.

Just remember, the key is to write an essay that stands out, and hopefully also say something about who you are on a personal basis. Don't try too hard trying to prove your intelligence. Just let it show through your writing. Be honest and genuine (or at least sound like you are). The single best tip I can give you is to make sure you keep it short, concise, and to the point. Similar to sending out a resume, keeping things simple is very important when you're dealing with people that probably read the same sort of crap over an over again for hours at a time.

I think I've lost my application since I wrote it. When I did write it, I was into Nietzsche and was only just on the precipice of Objectivism. As far as worrying about what they think about your ideas, well, I held a short correspondence with my University before I got accepted, and the quote in my signature is directly from that correspondence. I don't think there are any admissions tutors who are that biased against Objectivism that they would want to ban any student of it from coming to their institution - that kind of defense of their own ideas would require a backbone.

Ayn Rand was the subject of the application that I wrote for the school that I currently attend (I'm a Third Year at the University of Virginia).

I honestly don't think your application essay is very important as long as you have good test scores and a good GPA. And, if the essay is well-written, it doesn't matter what the subject matter is.