Objectivism Online Forum

Portal / Orange Box

Rate this topic

RationalBiker

I'm sure many of you (at least the computer gamer folks) have heard of the Half Life series. A couple of days ago The Orange Box was released, which is in my mind a spectacular gaming value. It includes two previously released games, Half Life 2 and HL2: Episode 1, as well as 3 new releases; HL2 Episode 2, Portal and Team Fortress 2. By all accounts I've read so far, Episode 2 is an amazing addition to the series. At $49.99 retail, 5 high quality games is a bargain, made all the better if you have never played Half Life 2 before. Half Life and Half Life 2 are regarded by many as among the best games on PC but I'm not really going to discuss them much. The other games in the package are built on the same game engine or improved versions of the same game engine.

Mostly what I'm here to talk about is the game Portal. Portal is a puzzle game played from first person shooter perspective. After solving a couple of rudimentary puzzles, you gain access to a portal gun to assist in solving the remaining puzzles. The puzzles involve starting at one location in a room or complex and having to find or get to the exit. Each level presents increasingly difficult obstacles, though the learning curve is gentle. Let me tell you, this is a truly fantastic and fun brain teaser. The computer voice that gives you instructions and make observations throughout is simply hilarious. The only downside to the game is that it isn't long enough. It's my understanding that getting through the whole game, including the hardest puzzles can be done in about 5 hours. I'm hoping they will release more puzzles later. Fun and problem solving put together is a great mix.

Team Fortress 2 was also on my "must have" list. It's yet another first person shooter, but with a lot of style. It has variations on old style objectives (capture flags or control points). The style I refer to is that the different classes, settings and music are based on a retro 60's look and sound. Each of the classes have their own abilities and character which seem to compliment team play well.

While I recommend the entire Orange Box collection, in particular I think many folks on this board, gamers or not, would appreciate the genius of Portal.

Edited by RationalBiker

Portal is totally amazing. I played through it (the main game) in a single late-night sitting, but it was one of the most enjoyable 3.5 hour games I've ever played. Admittedly, the advanced post-game levels (particularly the last one) had me stumped for a bit. Your estimate of 5 hours is pretty much accurate. That said, the replayability factor is there (at least with me) because of the challenges. Playing a level which would normally take 30 portals and doing it with 4 is a brain-teaser in itself, and makes the game that much more interesting.

The computer voice (including it's taunts) and the end song really add to the amusement flavor.

"Thank you for helping us help you help us all"

"All subjects intending to handle high energy gamma leaking portal technology, must be informed that they may be informed of applicable regulatory compliance issues. No further compliance information is required or will be provided, and you are an excellent test subject"

It's a really fun game!

You're given a gun that makes portals that you use to solve puzzles and stuff. Simple concept, but probably one of the funiest and most challenging games I've ever seen. Really makes you think and it's fun to do to!

..................... ..... ...... ..... the cake is a lie!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I concur, the Orange Box is the greatest video game value I can remember. I really don't understand how they can sell it for so cheap and pay the development costs of three games.

Portal is worth the price alone. I'm curious if anyone here has been able to do the Portal challenges "Least Steps" on any of the rooms. On the second challenge room, for instance, I simply don't see how you can get it down to 10 steps when it takes about 7 or 8 to get in and out of the elevators.