Objectivism Online Forum

Hey

Rate this topic

Hello.

I've been reading around the forums for awhile and figure I should introduce myself.

My real name is Chad Mills, and I'm going to school at the University of Arizona (UA) in Tucson, AZ. I'm studying electrical engineering and computer science. I've completed 2 of my 4 years of undergrad, but I'm going to grad school afterward, so I don't plan on getting out of school any time soon.

My parents and several friends live in Phoenix, so I tend to go back there most weekends.

Objectivism-related things:

Next year I'll be president of the UA Student Objectivist Society, and I'm currently taking classes at the OAC. I've read most of Rand's work, though I skipped around a lot while reading the "magazine"-type publications (TON, The Objectivist, Ayn Rand Letter).

Other stuff:

I'm interested in science and history, although I don't have extensive knowledge in either field (I'm working on it :lol: ). I also like Alanis Morissette (Baba, in particular), the number 47, monkeys, and the color blue.

ObjectivismOnline.net looks like a great place, so I look forward to seeing you around.

I'm interested in science and history, although I don't have extensive knowledge in either field (I'm working on it ;) ).  I also like Alanis Morissette (Baba, in particular), the number 47, monkeys, and the color blue.

I am a huge Alanis fan as well, although I'm slightly disappointed by her new album.

I am a huge Alanis fan as well, although I'm slightly disappointed by her new album.

Wow, I'm honestly surprised another Objectivist fan of hers. ;) I generally just get a blank stare when I mention her. Also, I like most of her new CD (esp. So Called Chaos, KOMB) so long as I ignore the anarchistic comments she's made about it and interpret the "good part" of the lyrics myself.

Just out of curiosity, what is it that "the number 47" refers to?

Hmm...well there's several different reasons I like it. They can be grouped into two main categories, with all the reasons in each category being tied closely together:

1) it's prime. Prime numbers seem to be "unique." In addition, it's a very common number for people to pick "at random." If you pick a random number, 47 just sounds so much more random than 45, 48, 50, etc. This goes very well with the prime thing--17 and 23 seem to come up a lot as well. But when people pick "random" numbers, they tend to pick "weird" numbers rather than more common/non-weird ones. If you see the number 64 or 50 was randomly picked, it seems to have a different impact than seeing that the number 47 was randomly picked (even though the chance of picking any of them would be equally likely--in other words, it's psychological).

I actually saw a site/yahoo group about this recently, and was excited to join. People subscribing seemed to think it was the "quintessential random number" and shared "47 sightings" with one another. It was amusing, but unfortunately they almost all appeared to be mystical/fate based; I dropped the group recently. I just think it's cool, unique and interesting--not mystical.

2) it comes up a lot in my life. It just so happens that I've seen it a lot, and usually associated with positive things in my life. When I was a kid, growing up, I often went to a dirt track to watch races on Saturday nights. My favorite driver drove the car #47 (he was my favorite because he was good, his car was blue/white (I liked that combination...), and he was very nice at signing autographs after the races). My birthday is 4/7, and my first name has 4 letters and my middle name has 7.

After the race car thing, I just sorta put it all together. So I'm not quite sure exactly why erandor likes it, but for me it's a mix of personal and "interesting" things. It's come up a lot, and I stuck with it... Plus it just sounds so much more interesting than 7 or 13 ;)