Objectivism Online Forum

Talk About Defining With Non-essentials

Rate this topic

RadCap

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/5287945/

This supposedly serious article denigrates the remarkable achievement of man space through redefinition by NON essentials. It is a sneer piece which pretends to be benevolent and *somewhat* cheering of the astronautic achievements.

According to it, man has NEVER 'really' gone into space at all.

Note that the writer is from SETI. That explains alot.

Speaking of funky headlines, I saw this today on CNN:

Simple Injection Stops Affairs

What would you give for a simple injection that would stop your lover from cheating? A single gene inserted into the brain can change promiscuous male rodents into faithful, monogamous partners.

http://cnn.aimtoday.cnn.com/news/healthmai...re=cheaters0604

It works for rodents, folks - what else need I say?

Regarding the article, it does make one valid point – SpaceShipOne only used 2% of the energy necessary for escape velocity. While this does not make the accomplishment insignificant, we should be realistic about what was achieved Monday.

I may be misunderstanding your point, GC, but I have a different understanding of the article RadCap posted above. The article said that the energy requirements of SpaceShipOne were 4% of those for a regular NASA space shuttle. Using convoluted grammar, the article added that energy required to get SpaceShipOne into space was 2% of that necessary to get a space shuttle into space. I don't think this 2% figure diminishes SpaceShipOne's achievement.

The article states that the requirements are “pound for pound” adjusted. In other words, SpaceShipOne has just 2% of the energy needed for it (not the Shuttle) to escape orbit.

when will those stupid humans learn that space, science and technology are all constructs of stupid human logic. mwuahahahhahahah :D

Sorry I felt that sarcasm was necessary, because I need to get it out of my system, Ive been around too many skeptics lately.