Objectivism Online Forum

Stephen Colbert Halloween 31/10/07

Rate this topic

fivera

He once read from The Fountainhead at the end of Stewart's show where they kind of segway between. He was kind of mocking Objectivism, but it was funny nonetheless.

" Jimmy, are you sharing a cookie? What did I tell you about sharing? It rewards the weak!"

http://www.ifilm.com/episode/18037?startsWith=2908319

At least it sounds like he (or one of his writers) is at least somewhat familiar with the plot and characters.

~Q

EDIT: corrected URL.

Edited by Qwertz

The joke itself is amusing. However, I again do not like Stephen Colbert is associating Ayn Rand with Republican buffoonery. Stephen Colbert is a parody of conservative talking heads like Bill O'Reilly. He obvious is very influential amongst the 18 - 30 liberal crowd. I imagine that this small segment will cause college students to not know the difference between Objectivism and Neoconservativism for another five years.

The joke itself is amusing. However, I again do not like Stephen Colbert is associating Ayn Rand with Republican buffoonery. Stephen Colbert is a parody of conservative talking heads like Bill O'Reilly. He obvious is very influential amongst the 18 - 30 liberal crowd. I imagine that this small segment will cause college students to not know the difference between Objectivism and Neoconservativism for another five years.

BINGO!

You nailed what I've been trying to get across to everyone here!

I don't see what this has to do with Objectivism becoming a fad - he isn't honestly supporting Objectivism; if anything, he's criticising by associating it with his Neocon character. Also, I don't think the majority of Americans can't tell the difference between a Republican and a Neoconservative. Heck, over 50% of the population are old enough to remember the Reagan years (I'm basing this off people who would have been about 16 or over half way through his time in office - 16 being a time of great political activity in a person's life). He's no model of a perfect Conservative, but he's not a Neocon either.

Edited by Tenure

I don't see what this has to do with Objectivism becoming a fad - he isn't honestly supporting Objectivism; if anything, he's criticising by associating it with his Neocon character. Also, I don't think the majority of Americans can't tell the difference between a Republican and a Neoconservative. Heck, over 50% of the population are old enough to remember the Reagan years (I'm basing this off people who would have been about 16 or over half way through his time in office - 16 being a time of great political activity in a person's life). He's no model of a perfect Conservative, but he's not a Neocon either.

*sigh*

It can be a fad in two ways,

1) A fad to make fun of it

2) A fad where Neocons and other such people use Rands works to back up things she didn't advocate.

It's just going to damage the your credibility in the populations eyes because you've been exposed to a stupid stigma. That's why it's a problem.

Well, ok, now you're talking about something else. You're talking about people misrepresenting Ayn Rand, and it being popular to do that -- well that's hardly a new thing. People have been doing that since she publicised her philosophy. If someone calls you uncredible (perhaps the word is 'incredible'?) for being an advocate of Objectivism, then ask them what they find wrong with it. Then is the perfect opportunity to correct them, and to show them how the truth has been distorted to them.

Some may not listen, but I have a feeling most will, if you simply explain the facts of the situation to them. They won't turn to Objectivism, but they'll at least be willing to hear what it really is all about.

My question is - what do you care what the public thinks of you? Do you care that they'll act on their association of you with the distortion of Objectivism they have heard of? Well, why should that be anymore of a problem than their distortions of reality that you already have to deal with?

Also, can I ask that you not write out derogatory prefixes to your posts.

Edited by Tenure

Well, ok, now you're talking about something else. You're talking about people misrepresenting Ayn Rand, and it being popular to do that -- well that's hardly a new thing. People have been doing that since she publicised her philosophy. If someone calls you uncredible (perhaps the word is 'incredible'?) for being an advocate of Objectivism, then ask them what they find wrong with it. Then is the perfect opportunity to correct them, and to show them how the truth has been distorted to them.

Some may not listen, but I have a feeling most will, if you simply explain the facts of the situation to them. They won't turn to Objectivism, but they'll at least be willing to hear what it really is all about.

My question is - what do you care what the public thinks of you? Do you care that they'll act on their association of you with the distortion of Objectivism they have heard of? Well, why should that be anymore of a problem than their distortions of reality that you already have to deal with?

Also, can I ask that you not write out derogatory prefixes to your posts.

wow this is exciting, l love this board. ok, this is my interpretation, that stephen colbert used his tv show to promote good literature. as for the viewers or whatever party associations, who cares that is for their interpretation. the show is meant for humor and entertainment, and i think it's great that a good book like atlas shrugged gets publicity amongst all the crap they promote in some bookstores nowadays.

• 11 months later...