Objectivism Online Forum

Need Contact info on Publishers

Rate this topic

RadCap

Hi all,

I have mentioned in passing on a couple occasions that I am fighting both a medical, and a related legal, battle. Today I received some bad news in regard to them, which affects me financially in an crushing way. So I need some advice if anyone might have some.

In relation to the Rational Man concept/series of illustrated books I wish to pursue, does anyone have contact with publishers who might be willing to produce such a series? While this is still very much in its rough stages, and so is likely premature to approach anyone, I am pretty desperate financially now. Without going into medical details, I currently have a problem doing pretty much any regular form of work. And with this new news, I now find myself without any income. If I cannot find some source of income - like an advance on the series, or something - I will quite literally find myself on the street within the next couple months.

As such, while I don't like to have to make any of this public, I am at my wits end on how to resolve this situation. Any suggestions you might have would be greatly apppreciated.

Thank you

RadCap

Radcap, you have what I think is demonstrably a very marketable product, or at least you have shown enough of the product to hint at its potential. You might want to consider a business proposal of sorts, where you keep a certain percentage of any future profits from the book(s) for yourself, and place a monetary value for sale for the remaining percentage. There might be enough people who would want to buy a small percentage, enough to carry you through this period until you can publish. In fact, such a proposal might even attract some of the people who are in the publishing field or who have contacts with others. Just a thought ...

Anyway, I am sorry to hear about your difficulties and wish you well.

I have a friend who's mom works for a publishing company. During this weekend I will try my best to get in touch with them and find out some more information.

If this sounds like what your looking for, I can get you her phone number. I'm not exactly sure if her company would do anything like that, so I'll find out.

I would like to thank all three of you for your suggestions. Any ideas are greatly appreciated at this point.

Stephen - the idea of a business proposal is obviously a good one. But my problem comes back to "Who". If I completed such a business proposal in the alloted time, I would still not know who to present it to (nor really how in my given physical condition). If you have additional suggestions along these lines, perhaps you could relay them privately, since I dont really want to discuss the details of my illness any more publically.

Michelangelo - yes. Finding out more information from them would be great. Even if the mom is unable to help, she may have some suggestions on who I could contact. So I would appreciate that, thank you. ;)

Betsy - I responded to your email already. Thank you. As to the book recommendation, I will definitely look into it. I also saw a couple other interesting books on the site as well. So, again thank you. :)

RadCap,

If I were you I'd just call every comic book publisher I know and try to "pitch" them with this. Make a nice presentation. People are often open to new ideas. Also - I'd check with Objectivist publications for cooperation...

I've heard a famous graphic novelist, Lance Tooks, is an Objectivist. He is certainly influenced by Rand. Perhaps ask him for advice.