Objectivism Online Forum

Books you've re-read

Rate this topic

airborne

Please list some books you've re-read and those you intend to re-read.

How to make money in stocks by William J. O'neil ( 3 times)

Reminisces of a stock operator by Edwin Lafevre (3 times)

The Fountainhead ( 2 times... well almost, another 100 pages)

I intend to read Atlas Shrugged again as well...

Edited by airborne

Capitalism And Freedom by Milton Friedman thrice.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahiuk twice

How Capitalism Saved America by Tom D'Lirenzo twice

Atlas Shrugged Thrice.

Fountainhead Twice.

Anthem countless times

These are the first books taht come to mind.

Fight Club by Chuck Palahiuk

Atlas Shrugged

Fountainhead

Definitely agree with these.

I'd say also all my Asimov Robot stories (Including 'The Complete Robot' and 'I, Robot'.

I really want to re-read American Gods. Looking back on it, I know understand what I like so much about it - it was the sense of life of Shadow, that he wanted to keep on living, on his own terms, for his goals, no matter how much hardship he would have to go through. I never realised it until now, and I think I'll appreciate the book all the more for realising it now.

Although how rational his whole quest to be united with his dead wife was, or whether he really needed to hold Wednesday's vigil, is debatable. Although I'd say the latter was a matter of contract. It wasn't glorifying self-sacrifice, so much as how much Shadow's goals meant to him.

Edited by Tenure

Besides Ayn Rand's fiction and non-fiction:

Monna Vanna by Maurice Maeterlinck (currently rereading)

The Sorrows of Young Werther by Geothe

Emilia Galotti by Lessing

I intend someday to reread the Harry Potter series, or at least specific books in that series.

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, X2. One of the greatest science fiction I have ever read.

Legend by David Gemmell, X2. My favorite fantasy novel.

Sandman by Neil Gaiman and various artists, XN. Best graphic novel. Read it innumerable times.

How to make money in stocks by William J. O'neil ( 3 times)

Reminisces of a stock operator by Edwin Lafevre (3 times)

The Fountainhead ( 2 times... well almost, another 100 pages)

I intend to read Atlas Shrugged again as well...

I re-read it last week. I think Francisco's speech on money is the best one in the book.

The rest of my re-read list:

Leviathan -- Hobbes.

Enquiry into Human Understanding -- Hume

Darwin's Dangerous Idea -- Dennett

The Origin of Species --- Darwin

Foundations of Geometry --- Hilbert

The Geometry of Physics -- Frankel

Stoichon Euklides (Euclid's Elements in Greek). I am trying to teach myself Attic Greek.

For class I am currently reading

Ta Ethica aka The Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotole

Also for class:

On the Soul -- Aristotle

The Timaeus -- Plato

I will not attempt to re-read anything by Kant. He is impossible to understand. I would have an easier time with Neitzche.

Bob Kolker

I've re-read the Roark/Wynand sections of the Fountainhead, while skipping the Toohey/Keating sections, too many times to count. It was the first book I ever read where the hero was far more fascinating than the villain.

I've read Douglas Coupland's Generation X several times.

All the King's Men, by Robert Penn Warren, I've read twice.

I plan to read Dune again sometime soon.

And I'm actually re-reading Atlas Shrugged right now, for the first time since I was about 15 or 16. I started on it last week and I'm already almost finished, it's taking up all of my spare time.. It's such an amazing read!!

FH, Anthem, and various of her non-fiction.

The Sword of Truth novel series, some of the earlier better Discworld books (doubt i would want to read them again these days though).

Some Asimov stories.

And some others that I do not wish to mention here, as they are definitely not things I would care to read these days.

Anthem, The Fountainhead, Atlas Shrugged a number of times each. Also other works like CUI, PWNI, VOS, and TNL, all a few times each. OPAR cover to cover about three, and refer to sections of it now and then.

Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series two or three times.

Menger's Principle of Economics I've reread twice, Bohm-Bawerk's Capital and Interest series I have reread and am in the middle of rereading now. Reisman's Capitalism about twice, and refer to that now and then too.

I plan to reread The Blind Watchmaker when I get around to it. I will reread other works by Dawkins, and likely Hitchens' God Is Not Great, again at some point in the future.

JJM

The Witcher by Andrzei Sapkowski. Besides Fountainhead and other Ayn Rand's novels the best fiction books I have ever read. One book of short stories is finally translated to English so you can enjoy it too. I hope to find time to read it for third time.

Fountainhead

We The Living

OPAR

Edited by Blinky

The only books I've re-read other than Ayn Rand are:

Harry Potter, except the seventh and sixth books

Gone With the Wind, I honestly don't know how many times. More than 3. What can I say, I love it!

Between a Rock and a Hard Place. For anyone who hasn't heard of it, its the autobiography of Aron Ralston, the climber who cut off his own arm.