Objectivism Online Forum

Who are the real monsters?

Rate this topic

By David from Truth, Justice, and the American Way,cross-posted by MetaBlog

Watching a segment about the U.S. Coast Guard today, I heard an agent describe the immigrant smugglers who bring people from Cube as “ruthless” men who “care nothing for human life.” That may well be true. Yet moments before saying those words, the agent intercepted a Cuban family moments before their attempt to seek a life of freedom would have been successful. They likely paid their life savings to the smuggler – and will probably be sent back to prison – or worse.

The smugglers risk their life to bring desperate people to a free society. The border agents casually condemn people to a life of persecution and oppression and force them to undergo a perilous and financially ruinous journey. If it were not for their persecution, the trip from Cuba, Mexico, and China would certainly be far safer and cheaper for the immigrants. Yet the border agents are supposed to be celebrated as the moral heroes? The agents are well aware of their atrocities: “They hear the stories. But they need work. They need to eat. They’re desperate.” Why isn’t everyone else?

(By the way, as much as their are vilified, the smugglers have a strong incentive to keep their cargo alive and out of jail - so much that they provide free legal aid if they are caught. If they sometimes get too aggressive about making a profit, the migrants have only an uncaring and hostile immigration policy to blame.)

TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=TiiniZB TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=Yefwa7b TruthJusticeAndTheAmericanWay?i=yRJZx3b

http://ObjectivismOnline.com/archives/002993.html

If they sometimes get too aggressive about making a profit, the migrants have only an uncaring and hostile immigration policy to blame.

I don't judge those two things as a package deal. I rightfully blame the government for setting bad immigration policies and I separately evaluate smugglers for caring little for human life.

The smugglers risk their life to bring desperate people to a free society.

This statement makes them sound like heroes. In majority of cases this can not be further from the truth.

There are ways to come across the border legally. I live in Miami and I know this. It's a seedy business. Alot of men pay alot and do not get to come across. It is smuggling.

Cubans are treated like kings.get help and get to practice their careers over here, other boat floaters are not allowed to be Doctors and Lawyers if they were in their country.

I personally know some illegal aliens who are friends with my mom, they build floors and stuff. One sold her underage daughter to get married illegally, to american, and he divorced his wife and for 10 grand married a lady who now wants more money. he has to wait 2 years and the remarry his wife who is not happy and depressed. Their family is torn apart, they are religious freaks and fake that they are still married to each other. They act all righteous in front of others.

It doesn't feel right to me at all, when I know people who wait for a few years to do this the right way.

I admit, they do good work and work jobs noone else wants for dollars a day. You can find anyone to do a 12 hour days work or labor, on street corners in miami for like 40-50 dollars a day.

Alot of them want to work and they should be allowed to come over here to work temporarily and then sent back home to give their money to their families.

What about their ideas? Mexicans do not have the same ideas as we objectivists or americans. That is why their country is so messed up, why not spread the right ideas so they can work magic in their own country.

Because they will bring the worng ideas to this country. It's not Mexico that is poor, its their ideas.