Objectivism Online Forum

Dumb question about dog breeds

Rate this topic

dadmonson

Is it possible for vastly different dog breeds, like a chiuaua and a Saint Bernard, to reproduce? How is it possible for a poodle and a pitbull to belong to the same sub-species (canis lupus familiaris), let alone the same species (canis lupus)? Could homo sapiens ever be 'bred' to the point where we differ so drasticly from each other yet still belong to the same species?

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible as long as they are the same species (or in some cases different species but very close genetically). The only issue would be if the physical size difference was so great that it makes the act of penetration impossible.

As for humans, great physical difference already exist within naturally occurring populations. I am sure that if you take NBA players and crossbreed them with WNBA players over the course of several generations, you will end up with a population of athletic 7 footers.

I don't see why it wouldn't be possible as long as they are the same species (or in some cases different species but very close genetically). The only issue would be if the physical size difference was so great that it makes the act of penetration impossible.

All domestic dogs are the same species. They can also interbreed with wolves. As for size, dogs are very determined when they are in heat, they manage.

As for humans, great physical difference already exist within naturally occurring populations. I am sure that if you take NBA players and crossbreed them with WNBA players over the course of several generations, you will end up with a population of athletic 7 footers.

There are studies about the persistence of harmful recessive genes, such as those for sickle cell anemia or Tay Sachs disease. These studies explain how genes drift within populations. All humans are also the same species.

All domestic dogs are the same species. They can also interbreed with wolves. As for size, dogs are very determined when they are in heat, they manage.

There are studies about the persistence of harmful recessive genes, such as those for sickle cell anemia or Tay Sachs disease. These studies explain how genes drift within populations. All humans are also the same species.

Uh. Yeah thanks I know all dogs and humans are the same species. I just said that as long as two animals are of the same species they can interbreed (dogs, humans, etc). That is after all the definition of being in the same species. Obviously there are also animals that can interbreed but produce sterile offspring -- ligers and tigons, mules and hinnys etc.

Genetic drift on the other hand happens in nature. But here we are talking about selective breeding. If you keep finding the biggest men you can and artificially breed them with the biggest women, obviously they are going to produce bigger offspring.