Objectivism Online Forum

Rate this topic

I ran my first marathon in Philadelphia today! It didn't go as well as I'd hoped -- I had to walk a bit and battled stomach cramps for most of the race -- but I still finished, even though I was sorely, sorely tempted to quit at the halfway mark.

Woohoo, I am a marathoner!

Not sure why I was compelled to click on a thread titled "26.2" (must have been some mystical forces at work :), But congrats!! I can remember when you were blogging about doing 3 miles!

As an added bonus, you missed one of the most abjectly miserable karaoke nights in recent memory. We waited over 2 hours for our songs to come up (finally figured out there was some hijinks happening with the cue) before finally giving up and vowing never again to beam down to Planet Rose.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Good for you!

Running for miles and miles when you feel like quitting is a real accomplishment, any day. A marathon is long enough that it depletes one's reserves pretty thoroughly.

Any plans to run another one? ;)

First of all, thanks to others who gave congrats as well...I kind of hibernated for a while after I finished the race and didn't see this post until today!

Yes, I do plan to run another. My original thought was that I would run Philadelphia this year and NYC next year, but since Philly didn't go as well as I hoped this year, I think I might try Philly again before I move on to the more challenging hills of NYC. I'm also considering Chicago, which is also a relatively flat course, but because it's so much earlier in the year, I'm a little concerned about the weather (witness what happened this year!). So I will run another marathon next year, but I haven't quite decided which one yet.

Yes, I do plan to run another. My original thought was that I would run Philadelphia this year and NYC next year, but since Philly didn't go as well as I hoped this year, I think I might try Philly again before I move on to the more challenging hills of NYC. I'm also considering Chicago, which is also a relatively flat course, but because it's so much earlier in the year, I'm a little concerned about the weather (witness what happened this year!). So I will run another marathon next year, but I haven't quite decided which one yet.

It's indeed a good idea to be thinking about weather; marathons in hot weather are much more of a stress than when it's cool and cloudy. I remember that in the 2004 Athens Olympics, it was so hot in the women's marathon that a few of the top competitors ended up not finishing the race. (But the top American ran a good race and finished third.) And in the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics, the temperature was over 90 degrees. So some people can do well when it's that hot, but I think most runners would much prefer cooler weather.

Anyway, best of luck.