Objectivism Online Forum

Self-Sufficiency

Rate this topic

sammi

I have always been fascinated and very interested in living as self sufficiently as possible (like e.g. Thoreau, the pioneers, American Indians of the past, the pilgrims - the thanksgiving ones that is) and have tried in fits and starts to incorporate self sufficiency into my own life by cooking my own food - spending as little as possible - heating with wood

All these things I want to do in order that the "powers that be" can have as little control over my life as I can manage.

It isn't really running away in my case it is wanting to own my own life as much as possible. I have no real "career" where I can advance in and find that the work i do have to do by and large is dictated by how many times you pucker up and suck up.

Is this anti O ? i mean even Galt had an 'intentional community' :lol:

thanks

sammi

Objectivism advocates the ethic of independence, not self-sufficiency. Independence means never placing other people's judgment above your own, and living by the values earned by your own efforts. It does not mean isolating yourself from others. Voluntarily trade with others does not surrender your independence, but rather recognizes that other people are also independent, productive beings.

Objectivism advocates the ethic of independence, not self-sufficiency. Independence means never placing other people's judgment above your own, and living by the values earned by your own efforts. It does not mean isolating yourself from others. Voluntarily trade with others does not surrender your independence, but rather recognizes that other people are also independent, productive beings.

I understand that and totally agree, but that is in a perfect world which this is not.

I want to place my judgment first and do but I realize the work I do to earn money isn't the best work I can do (although I try and do my best at my job always)-and I do NOT want the best work I can do sold off and used by people who don't appreciate it or reward it (monetarily especially) sufficiently. It is too often the case that that happens and it has happened to me too many times.

For now until something different occurs withholding is a better path for me to be independent.

Thanks

Edited by sammi

All these things I want to do in order that the "powers that be" can have as little control over my life as I can manage.

America is still a place where a man can get a tremendous amount of value in exchange for his talents and effort. If you think running off to the mountains and living like Jeremiah Johnson or Ted Kaczynski is the way to go then have at it. But wouldnt you, in fact, be surrendering to the 'powers that be?' Wont the 'powers that be' have forced you into that lifestyle?

Sammi, Either I don't understand what you mean by independence, or I don't understand why you want to be independent? Why do you want to be independent? What are the short-term or long-term consequences of not being independent? For instance, in the example you gave (i.e., cooking) what is the actual consequence of cooking your own food? How does it contribute to your values, or somehow stave off something negative? What is that consequent value you gain; or, what other negative do you stave off? I'm just not able to concretize what you mean.

I think there is an element of self-sufficiency that meshes well with Objectivism. For instance, I would hope and predict that most Objectivists in New Orleans avoided the hurricaine without having to depend on a government bail-out.

I think we should all be prepared to take care of ourselves without the assistance of Uncle Sam. Objectivists know that gorvernment isn't, and shouldn't be, all-knowing and all powerful. Therefor we should plan on being able to support ourselves and our families trhough disaster, and if possible government caused recession/depression.

That doesn't mean I think all Objectivists should live in tent in the woods. It means I think we should be prepared for reasonably likely natural and government disasters. For example, have a gun by the side of the bed in case of a break-in, and have a week or two of food on hand in case of a natural disaster.

I can get a lot of pleasure by cooking my own food, but I still want to have a restaurant at hand.

Remember that scene in the uncharted forest when Prometheus catches his first bird, and eats his first earned food?

But that's not the point.

I love the wide open spaces, where I can be surrounded by nature and far away from men.

i believe Ayn Rand treates the "solitude in nature" as art, as food for the soul, as something of the exception to the rule. The uncharted forest in Anthem, the quarry in the Fountainhead, and yet again the forest in Atlas Shrugged. I believe she links this natural spaces to sex.

I completely agree, for example I love cities and I'd never live far from one, but I feel very free in indeed a very erotic way in the uninhabited nature.

About independence vs self-sufficiency, the latter is only implied when civilization is without remedy (like in Anthem or in Atlas). I don't think that's your case, maybe consider it a hobby?