Objectivism Online Forum

Your thoughts on the following philosophy books?

Rate this topic

I will be taking Introduction to Philosophy this fall and I was given three books on the subject. I was wondering if anyone had heard of these, and what there thoughts are on them.

Introducing Philosophy: A text with integrated readings

Seventh Edition

by Robert C. Solomon

and

Plato: The Last Days of Socrates Which include Euthyphro/The Apology/Crito/Phaedo

Books encouraged to read along with

The Trial Of Socrates

by I.F. Stone

Well, Plato is almost always worthwhile, and I particularly like Apology. He presents Socrates as a true hero, and his speech is quite inspiring in many ways. Take a close look at what Socrates does with in his defense against the second of the three accusations, though: I think there's a lot to be learned about his views from it. (Basically, he changes the subject and intentionally confuses his accuser in order not to have to really answer the charge.)

Stone's book is interesting. He makes some good points, though you have to read him carefully. He also makes some fairly dubious ones. I've recommended it in the past, though, because I think it has a lot of useful background information about Socrates, and because it's quite well written and fun to read.