Objectivism Online Forum

Help Me, Please.

Rate this topic

SMS

dog·ma ( P ) Pronunciation Key (dôgm, dg-)

n. pl. dog·mas or dog·ma·ta (-m-t)

A doctrine or a corpus of doctrines relating to matters such as morality and faith, set forth in an authoritative manner by a church.

An authoritative principle, belief, or statement of ideas or opinion, especially one considered to be absolutely true. See Synonyms at doctrine.

A principle or belief or a group of them: “The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present” (Abraham Lincoln).

Why should I not be dogmatic? Ayn Rand has written doctrines relating to morality, faith, and authoritative principles or statements of ideas that my reason says are accurate. So why should I not be dogmatic?

You’re right, SMS, teachers like you and I face are redundant. However, one great advantage they bring is that they actually know their subject (some of the time).
You're right. This is one fact that I have studiously been ignoring. :)

It’s almost as if I have two sets of eyes at all times: One focused on the immediate job that needs to be done and the other looking at the ultimate goal that I hope to achieve.
A full context?

I must ask, do you have some kind of ultimate goal, held clearly in your mind? I don’t mean do you already know what kind of program you want to create later in life, or what corporation you want to work for. Do you know what it is in the world that you hope to change, and improve in order to make your life better, through computer programming?

Not a very clear goal, but I'm working on it.

It’s sad that college is something that has to be gotten over with. To be honest, I only think that way some of the time. The other time, I actually enjoy reading whatever it is that I am reading, and it’s almost a guilty pleasure of mine to re-invent these complicated subjects. It’s like exercising muscles that should never have to be exercised (or not in this way). I don’t like that I should have to do it, but it still feels good doing it—knowing that I can do it. But then there are times when I get very angry with the fact that I am wasting my time, spending years doing what could have been done in months with the right teachers. That’s when I have to bite down hard and push through my books/lecture notes/paper assignments. In the end I just have to look at my long-range goals, like an exhausted runner looking at the finish line on the horizon.

That's just what I don't think, and that is why I'm generally so depressed. But I see your point and I feel better already. Thanks. I've wasted a lot of precious time and hurt many people who care for me because I did not care for myself. I can see where I have been wrong.

Mrs. Speicher:

Would you please explain in a little more detail? How exactly should a person take morality? Once I have reasoned out something to be wrong, must I force it upon myself never to do it? Or should I drive it in so deeply that I never feel like doing it anyway?

Mrs. Speicher:

Would you please explain in a little more detail? How exactly should a person take morality?

Please call me Betsy. (Mrs. Speicher was my mother-in-law.)

Morality is a guide to help you make good choices -- choices that will bring you success and happiness. It is a view that is at odds with all other moralities, but if you really want to see the uniqueness of the Objectivist ethics, read Ayn Rand's article, "Causality Versus Duty" in Philosophy: Who Needs It.

[Once I have reasoned out something to be wrong, must I force it upon myself never to do it? Or should I drive it in so deeply that I never feel like doing it anyway?

Neither one! Will power is a poor substitute for understanding.

Generally, if you really see why something isn't good for you and why it keeps you from getting what you want most, it won't seem desirable at all. When you do have a conflict between what you think and what you feel, it means there are some ideas you need to think through some more, something you aren't really convinced of yet. That is very typical of someone who is just learning Objectivism, so don't let it throw you. It is normal and healthy to have conflicts in the beginning. Just take whatever time you need to think them through and eventually they will all be resolved.