Objectivism Online Forum

Bush's Assassination

Rate this topic

Mammon

The other day I was watching "1968" with Tom Brokaw (sp?) on the History Channel and noted how many political leaders were assasinated or had an attempt made on them. I rememeber the movie Forest Gump had an ongoing observation about numerous leaders being assasinated or had an attempt made on them.

With so many people who hate Bush so much, I'm seriously suprised we haven't seen an attempt made on his life. Is it a sign of times?

The other day I was watching "1968" with Tom Brokaw (sp?) on the History Channel and noted how many political leaders were assasinated or had an attempt made on them. I rememeber the movie Forest Gump had an ongoing observation about numerous leaders being assasinated or had an attempt made on them.

With so many people who hate Bush so much, I'm seriously suprised we haven't seen an attempt made on his life. Is it a sign of times?

Bush has spent much less time in public than other leaders, and when he speaks it is mostly at very controlled gatherings with attendance limited to people who largely support him.

I don't know about other places, but when he has come to Portland to speak it is always with very little to no fanfare, and he speaks at some peculiar private venue.

I recall his father came to Spokane WA and spoke in the open air in a large public place. Now there was an opportunity to shoot someone. The son would never do that.

Some would argue this is simply to prevent him being confronted by protestors on camera, but it has the effect of severely limiting the ability of someone to shoot him.

Hmm. Interesting, David. Maybe the low quantity of attempted shootings is a result of the fact that no one wants Cheney for president. :D That, and people seem to be more security-conscious, now, and the culture is (marginally) better than it was during the 70's.

There are three things to considere here:

1) It's probable the Secret Service has uncovered and stopped a few attempts which were never publicized.

2) Did anyone try to kill G. H. W. Bush while he was president? I don't recall any such attempts. I also don't recall any serious attempts to kill Clinton (There was someone who sprayed bullest into the White House, but as he had no chance to kill the President it doesn't count).

3) Given 9/11 and subsequent events, G.W. Bush is likely to be the most protected President in history.

I recall a story that happened near me ( I think Buffalo New York ) where police got word of a plot on the President's life. The accusation was pointed at some Anarchist. Someone phoned him in and he went on the run ( I don't remember if they found him ). When FBI agents went to his hole-in-the-ground home, they found sniper rifles and other ammunition, anti-Bush propaganda ETC.

My memory on this is really vague, but I believe it took place in 2004-2005 when I first took an interest in politics.

• 2 weeks later...
As in the failed attempt in Tbilisi in 2005.

Alright, I wasn't aware of that. The media doesn't seem to give to much attention to these two attempted assanisations mentioned in this thread.

But still, it's kind of weird how after I posted this, a few days later this whole Bhutto assasination thing came up. I guess it about time a world leader was killed or something. :(

Maybe the low quantity of attempted shootings is a result of the fact that no one wants Cheney for president.

Perfectly irrelevant factoid: Cheney was in fact President (Acting President, to be precise) twice: On June 29, 2002 from 7:29am to 9:24am (EDT), and on July 21, 2007 from 7:16am to 9:21am (EDT). On both occasions, GWB was getting a colonoscopy, and officially handed power over to Cheney under Sec.3 of Amend.XXV.

Further perfectly irrelevant factoid: Someone made a mockumentary depicting the assassination of GWB on October 19, 2007. Produced in Britain in 2006 - Death of a President. Several large American cinema chains refused to book the film, and its release in the US was extremely limited.

~Q

• 1 month later...
Perfectly irrelevant factoid: Cheney was in fact President (Acting President, to be precise) twice: On June 29, 2002 from 7:29am to 9:24am (EDT), and on July 21, 2007 from 7:16am to 9:21am (EDT). On both occasions, GWB was getting a colonoscopy, and officially handed power over to Cheney under Sec.3 of Amend.XXV.

Further perfectly irrelevant factoid: Someone made a mockumentary depicting the assassination of GWB on October 19, 2007. Produced in Britain in 2006 - Death of a President. Several large American cinema chains refused to book the film, and its release in the US was extremely limited.

~Q

I remember the buzz that surrounded this movie, and remember thinking that it sounded really sensationalist, without any intellectual contributions.

I would chalk up the amount of failed assassinations to the security surrounding Bush; an old roommate of mine remembers being stopped in traffic for hours in LA while the highways were shut down to allow Bush & his bodyguards sole passage.

As in the failed attempt in Tbilisi in 2005.

Ahh, so the 20-year curse has been fulfilled. If you look into it, you'll see that every president who was elected to office in a year ending in 0 (ie, every 20 years), has either been assassinated in office, had an assassination attempt against him while he was in office, or died while in office. I checked this out a couple years ago and believe it was true for every such president after Jefferson.

Well I'd guess most of the people that hate them are also people who think their recycling will save the world and give themselves big ol pats on the back for 'protesting' in one of the freest nations on the planet. In other words, they like to wish things and think about them, but when it comes to actually doing anything real to further their goals these people are last in line. The people that tend to hate him are also the people that tend to be inneffectual for various philosophical reasons.

Ahh, so the 20-year curse has been fulfilled. If you look into it, you'll see that every president who was elected to office in a year ending in 0 (ie, every 20 years), has either been assassinated in office, had an assassination attempt against him while he was in office, or died while in office. I checked this out a couple years ago and believe it was true for every such president after Jefferson.

Actually were it not for Reagan and (probably, still too early to tell) Bush, that "curse" would simply read "died in office." Sure enough from 1820-1960 they all did die for some reason or another.

They had to modify it greatly after Reagan survived his term of office. Were it not for the fact that some dirtbag tried to kill him, they would have had to completely give up on this "factoid".

• 2 weeks later...
Well I'd guess most of the people that hate them are also people who think their recycling will save the world and give themselves big ol pats on the back for 'protesting' in one of the freest nations on the planet. In other words, they like to wish things and think about them, but when it comes to actually doing anything real to further their goals these people are last in line. The people that tend to hate him are also the people that tend to be inneffectual for various philosophical reasons.

Sounds awfully "Ivory Tower". Please tell me you're righting your posts from some undisclosed location in Colorado, perfecting the engine of perpetual motion. Nearly every Tuesday/Weekend, I read of record voter turn-outs in the democratic primaries. Never mind the 2006 congressional elections... If "the people" are wanting to revolt against neo-conservatism, I'd say they're being very effective in sending a message.

What would be a more interesting question is: How does the US transition from a mixed economy to a capitalist economy? What would the 2008 legislative agenda look like (assuming an epiphany)?