Objectivism Online Forum

ScanDisk Problem

Rate this topic

I've run into a strange problem on my computer that is so far not preventing me from using it but may in the future. For some reason or other, I cannot run ScanDisk for Windows 98 on my computer. I've installed Win98 and installed the disk utilities, and even uninstalled the disk utilities and re-installed the disk utilities, but every time I try to run DiskScan, I get an error message saying that I don't have enough memory. I have 500 meg of memory on this machine with a 137 gig hard drive, so maybe that is the problem. I don't know.

Anyhow, if someone can point out how to resolve the issue using Windows 98 or can point me to a third party disk utility program that I can run that would check for errors, I would appreciate it.

Mega thanks!

I'm going to suggest the "safe mode" bit also, but instead of pressing the control ("Ctrl") key, try repeatedly pressing the "F8" key during a restart to access the "Safe Mode" feature of your OS. Then once you've accessed the Safe Mode program, run the "Disk Defragmenter" utility.

Sometimes it'll lock up on you after only a moment or two. If this occurs, instead of clicking on the "Defragment" button first, click on the "Analyze" button instead. This will initialize the utility and open the door to actually defragmenting the drive once it is done as a littly window will pop open suggesting that you do so.

You still may have to stop and start it a couple of times, but be patient and let it do it's thing and it'll eventually works all of the kinks out of itself.

I'm going to suggest the "safe mode" bit also, but instead of pressing the control ("Ctrl") key, try repeatedly pressing the "F8" key during a restart to access the "Safe Mode" feature of your OS. Then once you've accessed the Safe Mode program, run the "Disk Defragmenter" utility.

Thanks for the suggestions, but that didn't work either. I have no trouble getting into SafeMode, but it keeps telling me I don't have enough memory to run either Defragment or ScanDisk. Must be some configuration problem, I assume, but I don't know how to fix it. The friend who gave me the computer says that there might be an upper size hard drive limit on the mother board -- like a few gig, but it won't work with 137 gig; so I might be stuck.

But, thanks anyhow.

Tom,

Have you looked at this http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/13499.html link? Response #18 looks promising. I've quoted it below:

Name: darryl carter

Date: May 30, 2000 at 20:39:27

Subject: Not enough memory to defrag Win 98

Err Msg: Your Computer Does Not Have Enough Free

Memory to Defrag the Drive

The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Windows 98

Microsoft Windows 95 OEM Service Release versions 2, 2.1, 2.5

Microsoft Windows 98 Second Edition

SYMPTOMS

When you attempt to run Disk Defragmenter (Defrag.exe) or ScanDisk (Scandskw.exe), you

may receive one of the following error messages:

Your computer does not have enough free memory to defrag the drive. Quit one or more

programs.

ID# Defrag009

ScanDisk could not continue because your computer does not have enough available memory.

CAUSE

This issue can occur if you are running Windows on a hard disk that is larger than 8

gigabytes (GB) in size and has a cluster size less than 8 kilobytes (KB). This configuration

may be created if you use a third-party disk tool to create a partition on a hard disk that is

larger than 8 (GB) in size and has a cluster size less than 8 KB.

RESOLUTION

To resolve this issue, contact the manufacturer of the third-party hard disk tool to inquire

about a possible update to the software that resolves this issue.

MORE INFORMATION

The standard FAT32 cluster size of 4,096 bytes only applies for hard disks smaller than 8

GB. The third-party hard disk tool may change the cluster size to 4,096 bytes per

allocation unit.

The default cluster sizes are listed in the following table.

Hard disk size Cluster size

-------------------------------

512 MB to 8 GB 4 KB

8 GB to 16 GB 8 KB

16 GB and larger 16 KB

Have you looked at this http://www.computing.net/windows95/wwwboard/forum/13499.html link? Response #18 looks promising.

OK, that was a very helpful page, since a lot of people are having this problem and the only solution seems to be to reformat the drive using a utility that permits configuring the clusters and allocation units. In other words, I'd have to start all over again.

Apparently, though Microsoft denies it, the Win98 Fdisk utility has an upper limit of 8 gig. I've used an 8 gig drive and it worked fine. But anything larger seems to give this configuration problem. So, it looks like I'm stuck with it until I decide to reformat or are forced to do so if this drive gives me too many problems.

Fortunately for me, the DOS version of scandisk works; like if I turn off my computer without using Windows shut down, scandisk will run. Maybe that will prevent me from having to reformat for a while.

I may eventually switch to Windows XP, though I don't know if that will solve the problem or not.

Thanks everyone!

OK, that was a very helpful page, since a lot of people are having this problem and the only solution seems to be to reformat the drive using a utility that permits configuring the clusters and allocation units. In other words, I'd have to start all over again.

Apparently, though Microsoft denies it, the Win98 Fdisk utility has an upper limit of 8 gig. I've used an 8 gig drive and it worked fine. But anything larger seems to give this configuration problem. So, it looks like I'm stuck with it until I decide to reformat or are forced to do so if this drive gives me too many problems.

Fortunately for me, the DOS version of scandisk works; like if I turn off my computer without using Windows shut down, scandisk will run. Maybe that will prevent me from having to reformat for a while.

I may eventually switch to Windows XP, though I don't know if that will solve the problem or not.

Thanks everyone!

If you can latch on to a copy of partition magic you may be able to either 1: break the drive up into smaller drive partitions or 2: at least change the cluster size, both without destroying your data.

Or you could not worry about running scan disk.

If you can latch on to a copy of partition magic you may be able to either 1: break the drive up into smaller drive partitions or 2: at least change the cluster size, both without destroying your data.

Or you could not worry about running scan disk.

Thanks, I'll keep that option in mind.

Don't know what will happen to this computer if I can't run ScanDisk or Defragment over a long period of time. I guess eventually it won't work correctly or will run very slow, then I will have to start all over again. I keep a backup of my files, but it is still a pain in the arse to have to reformulate my computer.

It's one of those live and learn things :confused: as I had no idea of the potential for a problem.

Thanks for the suggestions, but that didn't work either. I have no trouble getting into SafeMode, but it keeps telling me I don't have enough memory to run either Defragment or ScanDisk. Must be some configuration problem, I assume, but I don't know how to fix it. The friend who gave me the computer says that there might be an upper size hard drive limit on the mother board -- like a few gig, but it won't work with 137 gig; so I might be stuck.

But, thanks anyhow.

Hmm, other than temporarily downloading 1/2 of your drive onto a storage disk to free up enough space to allow defragmentation, I've one other option for you...a satellite/peripheral defragmentation program that can be downloaded, installed and ran, complete with a "results" report, all for free.

Give this a try: http://www.auslogics.com/disk-defrag

Good luck. Oh, and why not shove a couple extra sticks of RAM into the motherboard, or doesn't it support expanded memory?

Edited by -archimedes-

Good luck. Oh, and why not shove a couple extra sticks of RAM into the motherboard, or doesn't it support expanded memory?

I think I have as much memory that this machine can handle. Besides, the program you recommended is not compatible with Windows 98 -- I know, I know...upgrade, upgrade!

Thanks!

• 7 months later...

Well, for anyone interested, I did manage to get my scandisc and defrag issues resolved. I found a program on the web similar to Partition Magic, called Acronis Disc Director Suite, that cost less and was compatible with Windows 98. Unfortunately, something went wrong on the re-boot / re-partitioning from 149 gig to 8 gig, so I had to start all over again. I set up my computer to format only an 8 gig drive and everything was going well. I was able to run scandisc and defrag on an 8 gig drive.

However, I eventually decided to upgrade to Windows XP, since most of my programs -- including my virus and firewall programs -- would no longer update for Windows 98. I found a website called buycheapsoftware.com that had Win XP much cheaper than Best Buy, so I got it and installed it on the 8 gig partition. Then I used Acronis to repartition the drive to full scale, and I now have XP and a 149 gig drive, and everything works, including scandisc and defrag.

The moral of the story is not to get too far behind with industry standards :lol:

But I was able to use Win 98 for more than ten years, so hopefully I will have what I need for at least five to ten years. That's what you have to do when you don't make the big bucks, but there are solutions out there.

Next time I lose this drive, I will install XP from the get-go, instead of using Win 95 / 98 as the base. But I'm glad it is all working correctly.

Thanks for your suggestions!

The good thing is, once you're at WinXP SP2, there probably won't be another reason to upgrade for the next 10 years, unless Microsoft actually releases something based on Minwin or that supports WinFS (or you're feeling adventurous and want to switch to Linux/Mac).

Edited by brian0918

The good thing is, once you're at WinXP SP2, there probably won't be another reason to upgrade for the next 10 years, unless Microsoft actually releases something based on Minwin or that supports WinFS (or you're feeling adventurous and want to switch to Linux/Mac).

DirectX 10 Requires Vista

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.