Objectivism Online Forum

Mike Huckabee

Rate this topic

I have decided to create a thread for discussion on Mike Huckabee, who I think is easily the most dangerous of all of the Republican candidates.

First of all, whereas President Bush is essentially an idiot who happens to love religiously conservative ideas, Mike Huckabee is a vastly experienced religious leader. In other words, unlike our current President, he is capable of advancing and formulating religious ideas on a somewhat intellectually capable level. Here are a few quick facts on Huckabee:

• He spent twelve years as a Baptist minister.

• He openly expresses disbelief in (and his misunderstanding of) the theory of evolution. See here.

• He has described legalized abortion as a "holocaust". See here.

• He has argued that "God wants us to fight global warming." See here.

Think the disastrous consequences if any of the horrific ideas listed above are taken seriously. If the average American accepts that legalized abortion is the moral equivalent of the systematic extermination of a large group of individuals, then think of the legal consequences for OB/GYNs who perform or have performed abortions. Imagine the atrocious consequences if individuals accept that altruistic sacrifices in the name of Christianity and in the name of environmental preservation are one in the same. This would fuse two powerful, anti-man movements together.

Although it might not be clear now who would be the best candidate to support in the 2008 elections, I think it is safe to say that Mike Huckabee should be fervently opposed during the Republican primaries. If you can vote in a Republican primary election and Huckabee has a chance of winning (but not by a landslide), I think the best strategy is to vote for the next strongest Republican candidate (e.g., Giuliani, Romney, McCain or Thompson) in that particular primary election. Although none of the other candidates are ideal, I think they can all be safely considered significantly better than Huckabee when evaluated according to Objectivist principles.

Even if it appears that the Democrats will win the general election, I still think it is important not to let an individual as religiously conservative as Huckabee get the nomination, as it will continue to send the Republican Party on a dangerous path.

Edited by DarkWaters

I completely agree. Huckabee is the most dangerous candidate (on either side) for two reasons. First, there is a chance he will actually get the nomination. Second, for all those reasons above.

The problem is the race is wide open. Anyone can win it. Let's see how Huck does in Iowa and South Carolina.

Edited by Toolboxnj

Mike Huckabee is also bad on foreign policy. Here is a quote from an article in Foreign Affairs:

We must first destroy existing terrorist groups and then attack the underlying conditions that breed them: the lack of basic sanitation, health care, education, jobs, a free press, fair courts -- which all translates into a lack of opportunity and hope. The United States' strategic interests as the world's most powerful country coincide with its moral obligations as the richest.

So according to Huckabee, it is our duty to provide as much welfare as we possibly can for impoverished nations, lest they wage Jihad on us.

Daniel Pipes originally noticed this Huckabee excerpt on his website.

Mike Huckabee is a creation of the liberal media. They promote him as the archtypical Republican conservative in hopes of generating feelings of repulsion and disgust in voters. Huckabee can't defeat any liberal Democrat in a general election, so the liberal media is working to get him elected as the Republican presidential candidate.

The NYT had an amusing graphic today on the most-frequently used words by candidates in their ads. Huckabee's top 5 words were "believe, family, border, faith Christ". I think it's time to start excavating his Arkansas record, to see what he has already done to bring about faith-based government. Positions are one thing, but acts are really telling.

I think it's time to start excavating [Huckabee's] Arkansas record, to see what he has already done to bring about faith-based government. Positions are one thing, but acts are really telling.

The most significant that I am aware of are as follows:

• Amended state constitution to ban all public funding of all abortions unless if the mother's life is in danger (source bottom of page 1 and top of page 2)

• Passed an amendment stating life begins at conception and it's the role and responsibility of the state to do everything to protect that human life from conception to its natural conclusion. (source; search for Amendment 65)

• Passed an amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman. source.

As lieutenant governor, he also signed a proclamation declaring Christian Heritage Week.

It is often said that he presided over a Democratic majority Congress as governor. I am not sure if this meant that the Democrats had a majority of the Arkansas state Congress during his entire gubernatorial tenure.

Huckabee can't defeat any liberal Democrat in a general election, so the liberal media is working to get him elected as the Republican presidential candidate.

Since he has some liberal issues, I actually thought he stood a better chance of winning than, say Romney.

But I think Huckabee supports the Fair Tax, which I like very much. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the other top Republicans even know what that is... :D

I think Huckabee represents the Republican party perfectly. You guys are thinking of the party big wigs, but I'm thinking of the people who actually vote Republican. Today I saw a news commentator talking about how Huckabee was viewed as being stupid, for lack of a better word, and it helped him because stupid people could relate to him... :D

I think this is why Bush one in a huge landslide last time. Because Bush is viewed as the Christian candidate and that's the only thing that matters to a large portion of people who actually vote. The only "issues" are the ones Christians make into issues, regardless of if they are important or not. Huckabee has a huge chance of winning because he will get the Christian vote. Just watch.

I see it being Huckabee vs. Obama.

That's my bet so far... :P

That's my bet so far... :D

You're on, Mammon. Huckabee will never get the nomination. Obama has a chance, but not a good one. I think things will shake out just the way everyone thought they would a few months ago: Clinton vs. Giuliani or McCain.

He has won Iowa with 34% (Romney runner-up at 25%), as polls have been predicting recently. Iowa Republicans are probably not representative of U.S. Republicans. I'd be really surprised if Huckabee can make it past "super Tuesday", but Iowa is still something he can brag about.

His opponents should have people carrying banners with some cross motif, saying, "Take America back for Christ. Vote Huckabee". That might scare sense into some people.

Edited by softwareNerd

His opponents should have people carrying banners with some cross motif, saying, "Take America back for Christ. Vote Huckabee". That might scare sense into some people.

Maybe I've gone all pessimistic. I think such a thing would attract more Huckabee voters than it would discourage. Remember all those people in that movie Jesus Camp?

~Q

Maybe I've gone all pessimistic. I think such a thing would attract more Huckabee voters than it would discourage. Remember all those people in that movie Jesus Camp?
I think those Jesus-Camp folk already know Huckabee is their guy. If they do not vote for him, it's probably because they think he is not "viable". From my colleagues and acquaintances (typical non-Objectivist, middle-class, mid-Western mix), I find people are uncomfortable with open political championing of religion. They're fine if a politician says he wants to oppose Gay marriage, and uses religion to explain it. However, a position that is generally seen as a broader argument that "We need more religion in politics" won't fly yet, at least from what I can tell. A position that is generally seen as "we need more Christianity in politics" is still less palatable. That's why I think that if Huckabee crosses a certain line on religion, it will hurt him -- particularly in the general elections.

In the unlikely event that the GOP nominates Huckabee, what are the chances that he can win? I think the odds are extremely low against any of the top three Democrat contenders. If he is nominated and loses, that will be a good lesson for the GOP to learn. Not that I would like to see it come down to the wire like that! I'd prefer to see Guiliani win the GOP nomination.

Guess who won the Iowa Causcus?

Anyways, I think Huckabee has the best chance of winning the parties nomination. He's got the double idiot vote, the evangelicals and

Look at the map, it's alot like map of county's Bush won in '04 just a huge majority for one person.

Image:IowaCaucusRepublican2008.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:IowaCau...ublican2008.png

Edited by Mammon

The Wyoming caucus is currently under way, and it seems like Huckabee is getting zero support there. Romney has won 5 delegates and 2 alternates, and Hunter has 1 delegate and 1 alternate so far.

If I had to make a wager at this point, I would predict a Romney presidency.

The Wyoming caucus is currently under way, and it seems like Huckabee is getting zero support there. Romney has won 5 delegates and 2 alternates, and Hunter has 1 delegate and 1 alternate so far.

Yeah, it's possible because Romney also has the Christian vote AND I hear alot of people say "He just looks like a President!" which is the dumbest arguement in the world but people will vote on those grounds.

The Wyoming caucus is currently under way, and it seems like Huckabee is getting zero support there.
No surprise there!

Romney vs. Obama seems likely. I think Obama has an excellent chance, if he can keep his "fresh and different" brand (but, I guess that's a different thread!) Edited by softwareNerd

So I was browsing through the Huckabee's Facebook and I wanted to post some of the comments posts on it to show the type of voter who votes for him.

First there was this guy who raised some issues...

Gov. Huckabee,

I disagree with you on many of the issues.

1) I would hate any smoking ban (it should be my own right to live my life as I like).

2) I don't think that America should make its centerpiece of foreign policy to support Israel - as old british primeminister said Britain has no friends, it has interests - and the only friend of USA government should be USA interests.

3) I don't think its a job of president to decide what is tought in our schools - let us leave the choice to parents and school commitees (and let the states to oversee their school system).

The only thing I would support you is for your support of Fair Tax proposal. But please, I'd love you to make your program for presidency to get in touch with your own declared values (i.e. smaller government and federalism).

The responses to this guy were...

Please forgive [Him]. He's mentally handicapped and doesn't realize that this wall is for SUPPORTERS to write on. I love you, my friend. I doubt we think exactly the same on every single issue, but you have my vote. You have earned my support with your sound Christian values, if nothing else (taking the country back to its roots, if you will).

Once people wake up and realize what Chuck Norris is going to do to them if they don't wise up and vote for you, polls will be lookin really good. :-)

1) It is the job of the United States of American to do anything he can to ensure the health and prosperity of our nation and the its citizens. If millions of people in our country began not only cutting themselves but others around them...Wouldn't you want our government to step in and save lives? I don't want big government...I believe in free-will...but cigarette smoking isn't as much as a personal choice because second hand smoke kills or weakens those who choose not to partake. Correct?

2) You don't think it is in the United State's best interest to protect and support their only tried and proven ally in the Midwest? Are you serious? I mean, forget historical or Biblical reasons to protect the Holy Lands and God's chosen people...Are you serious?

3) I think that all Mr. Huckabee would like to do is enable parents to have influence on their children's education or at least make sure that teachers aren't actively trying to degrade the values taught to children in their homes.

I am backing you 110%. I could not agree more with your views! It will be so awesome to have a President with such strong Christian values.

I love how the Bible is listed in your books, and the fact that you were a pastor. I feel at peace when I think about the President being a man who trusts in the Lord. You've got my vote in NY, even if almost everyone else is liberal here, ha ha.

Thank you for having the courage to say that your faith is intertwined with the rest of your life. That is a relief to hear from a politician. If I had a vote, you would get it, because of your faith, and your view on abortion.

I love watching these debates now because the democrats dont talk about anything besides how popular they are. Then you have Fred Thompson who is a heart attack waiting to happen, Ron Paul that sounds scared every time he talks, Mitt Romney who talks down to everyone & John McCain who is decent, but refers to himself as being a "hero" too often. Then you have Mike Huckabee, who doesn't talk down to anyone, respects other's time to talk & has good ideas about how to fix this country's morale & problems. I love how the mediators always try to stump Mike Huckabee with religious questions that have nothing to do with running for president. I enjoy every response that he gives because he shares his political position, then explains his faith in God & some scripture.

Mike Huckabee, you should be the next president of this great nation. I believe you could do some good for it's people. Just remember one thing; actually do something your 1st 4 years in & not try to win more votes. Thanks.

Point is, a lot of people support Huckabee because he is a Christian, plays guitar, was on Colbert's show and asked Colbert to be his running mate, and Chuck Norris supports him.

pArfact man 4 teh JOBZ!!!1111ooneoeoneone!11!!

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view." [emphasis mine]

That story is too important not to be quoted here:

Huckabee: Amend Constitution to be in 'God's standards' David Edwards and Muriel Kane

Published: Tuesday January 15, 2008

The United States Constitution never uses the word "God" or makes mention of any religion, drawing its sole authority from "We the People." However, Republican presidential candidate Mike Huckabee thinks it's time to put an end to that.

"I have opponents in this race who do not want to change the Constitution," Huckabee told a Michigan audience on Monday. "But I believe it's a lot easier to change the Constitution than it would be to change the word of the living god. And that's what we need to do -- to amend the Constitution so it's in God's standards rather than try to change God's standards so it lines up with some contemporary view."

When Willie Geist reported Huckabee's opinion on MSNBC's Morning Joe, co-host Mika Brzezinski was almost speechless, and even Joe Scarborough couldn't immediately find much to say beyond calling it "interesting,"

Scarborough finally suggested that while he believes "evangelicals should be able to talk politics ... some might find that statement very troubling, that we're going to change the Constitution to be in line with the Bible. And that's all I'm going to say."

Geist further noted of Huckabee that if "someone without his charm," said that, "he'd be dismissed as a crackpot, but he's Mike Huckabee and he's bascially the front-runner."

There you have it, Peikoff's concern.

I still hold that Peikoff's pronouncements about the threat of religious conservatism are generally absurd, but Huckabee is a special case. The average Republican wouldn't be caught dead saying something like that, nor does the average Republican (office-holders, at any rate) believe anything that screwy.

I generally favor voting for Republicans over Democrats. My reasoning is that there is a substantial wing of the Republican Party that is secular, but the capitalist-leaning element of the Democratic party is pretty negligible. Giving one party more power is likely to make it fracture along whatever lines have been drawn...in the Republican Party, that would most likely be the secular/religious divide. In the Democratic Party, it would be between two equally unpalatable positions.

Since my main political hope (realistically-speaking) is for the Republican Party to be purged of its religious influence, I will not vote for Huckabee under any circumstances. If he is nominated, I will actually do what I swore on my mother's grave* I would never do: vote for Hillary Clinton.

*My mother is still alive...that was a preemptive oath.

I still hold that Peikoff's pronouncements about the threat of religious conservatism are generally absurd, but Huckabee is a special case. The average Republican wouldn't be caught dead saying something like that, nor does the average Republican (office-holders, at any rate) believe anything that screwy.
Do you know how you compute the average Republican? You add up the leading Republicans, weighting there position accoding to influence, and divide by the number of leading Republicans. The average Republican just because a whole lot more dangerous and religiously nutty. Now, thanks to Huckabee, GWB is a religious moderate by Republican standards.