Objectivism Online Forum

A Priest Speaks of Capitalism

Rate this topic

agrippa1

An interesting watch. Thank you very much for that link. Very amazing that he mentions Hayek's writing in The Road to Serfdom, one of the greatest reads of the 20th century.

Although I am not as surprised as perhaps you may expect me to be. Economic freedom and individual moral responsibility are two sides of the same coin. Considering that a central tenet of Judeo-Christian thought is individual moral responsibility and accountablity, you would expect a movement from within these religions to favor at least some mixed form of capitalism.

Edited by adrock3215

Well, I suppose it's nice to see some positive regard in the media for the kind of entrepreneur shown in the video, especially a positive mention of Hayek. But other than that, I found (1) the priest's explicit equation of "value" with "human service" and (2) the priest's tactic of twisting the Christian bromide of "love the sinner, hate the sin" into "capitalism is evil, but capitalists aren't necessarily so, see?" to be a nice confirmation of what I would have expected. <_<

Well, I suppose it's nice to see some positive regard in the media for the kind of entrepreneur shown in the video, especially a positive mention of Hayek. But other than that, I found (1) the priest's explicit equation of "value" with "human service" and (2) the priest's tactic of twisting the Christian bromide of "love the sinner, hate the sin" into "capitalism is evil, but capitalists aren't necessarily so, see?" to be a nice confirmation of what I would have expected. <_<

You beat me to those points. I hate it when Christians try to claim capitalism is consistent with what they teach. It's directly the opposite, it teachs your better off pursuing your material self-interest to benefit in this world; not pursuing others benefit, while denying your own, to benefit in the afterlife.

How do they not get that? They are trying to have there cake and eat it to. Capitalism is moral for Objectivists, because it's consistent with Objectivist ethics, and any ethical system based on rational self-interest, non-intiating of the use of force etc. The guy in the video doesn't even take the time to explain what is moral and why capitalism, or capitalists are said moral.

Oh, and this video appears a little while after Newscorp bough the WSJ. Suspicious much? <_<