Objectivism Online Forum

Drunk Objectivists

Rate this topic

athena glaukopis

You Know You're An Alcoholic When...

* Your doctor finds traces of blood in your alcohol stream.

* The back of your head keeps getting hit by the toilet seat.

* The parking lot seems to have moved while you were in the bar

* When you go to donate blood and they ask what proof?

* You think the Four Basic Food Groups are Caffeine, Nicotine, Alcohol, and Women.

* You have a "happy hour" at home

* When you are sober, people ask you what's wrong?

* You spend all night making a board game called Alcohol Land

* Although you drove home the other night you can't remember how you got home or where you parked your car

* Hi ocifer. I'm not under the affluence of incohol.

* Your favorite drink is ethanol.

* Why does everybody think I have a prinking droblem?! - I don't have a prinking droblem!

* I don't have a drinking prob..pleb..prub.. *hic* Pash me another, tarbender.

* You can spend a whole night holding up walls to prevent their (your) collapse.

* You instinctively know where the alcohol is in a store you've never been in before

* Clubs raise their drink prices because you haven't attended in a while

* You think beer and ramen make a good breakfast

(source:alcohol411)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer Guinness beer, but don't drink a lot of it. And a glass of Cabernet Sauvignon is nice with dinner. :)

I drink both wine and beer (especially from micro breweries). I have seen reports on the health benefits of drinking one glass of (red) wine per day. It has to do with something called flavonoids and antioxidants.

Have a glass of wine and read my post, Wine Freedom Weblog.

Cheers!

All the Best,

Martin Lindeskog

Earl Grey tea is good, but I am a coffee drinker! Strong, black, no sugar please!

Roland,

I should have had a barista workshop with you! :) I am a tea drinker, but I had to learn how to make good espresso coffee when I started Blue Chip Café & Business Center.

All the Best,

Martin

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, drinking is bad and good for you. What I've decided is, if you drink, don't get drunks and don't drink like whisky and those hard liquors. I say if you do it to relax, drink a beer instead of wine or a shot of something. Also, I have nothing against drinking, You just might want a mint or something and not get drunk or woozy. :pimp:

I don't drink alcohol anymore.

I did drink from ages 18-19 or so. Mostly straight whiskey but I tried a variety of things. Only got drunk a few times. As an amusing aside, the friend I drank with had such a tolerance for alcohol that his shot glass (straight whiskey) was an 8oz paper cup that he'd fill up to 6oz while everyone else was taking the usual 1-2oz shots.

I really don't understand what even a few drinks does for anyone. But I am a very unstressful person and "relaxing," talking socially, etc., is all very easy for me. Those are the reasons I see most cited as justification for a little drinking. I just don't see or get the value that some people do. So I stay away. I tend to think that the proper solutions to those problems (having use for chemical help in relaxing, or in social situations, or what have you,) are best handled by yourself, adjusting your own habits and mental patterns so that you no longer have any great use for alcohol.

However, to be perfectly honest, I could care less if you have a drink or two. I'm not the teetotaler brigade. Take my reasoning for what its worth.

Roland,

I should have had a barista workshop with you! :worry: I am a tea drinker, but I had to learn how to make good espresso coffee when I started Blue Chip Café & Business Center.

Hi Martin, only noticed your post now. Maybe you can teach me a little next time--but only if you're very patient, because I am an absolute beginner! :) I used to help my grandma make black coffee when I was a kid, but other than that, "getting me a coffee" has always meant walking down to the vending machine at the office, or (now that I work at home) visiting the McCafe downtown...

I really don't understand what even a few drinks does for anyone.

Dr. Peikoff addresses this in his podcast #18, in his answer to a question on psychotropic substances (starting at 13:03): "... within the appropriate amount, it [alcohol] can make you feel more energetic, less susceptible to a certain pain, more relaxed ..."

And, I might add, alcohol can make an excellent ingredient of or accompaniment for certain kinds of food. Aperitifs, for example, are a great way to prepare your stomach for a meal. The recipe of one of my favorite dishes, Swiss fondue, includes wine as an essential component, and may be further enhanced by adding a little liquor. There are many sweets and candies that derive their special taste from rum, vodka, cherry brandy, or something similar. And, of course, there is the entire science of matching the various kinds of wine to the dishes they go best with. In a nutshell, the idea with alcohol is the same as the idea with salt, sugar, or aromatic oils: it serves to make food more palatable.

I tend to think that the proper solutions to those problems (having use for chemical help in relaxing, or in social situations, or what have you,) are best handled by yourself

As far as "social situations" are concerned, I definitely agree. If you want to be my friend, you only qualify if you can be likeable while sober!

There are many sweets and candies that derive their special taste from rum, vodka, cherry brandy, or something similar.
Just to name a couple: chocolate truffles do best when they have some form of flavored liqueur, rather than syrup flavoring, because of the way the flavor hits you. With syrup, the "secondary" flavor (raspberry, mint, orange, irish creme, etc) hits you right away, but with liqueur, you have to wait for the chocolate to melt in your mouth a bit before the flavor starts to occur. It's really enjoyable. And second, tiramisu.

And, of course, there is the entire science of matching the various kinds of wine to the dishes they go best with. In a nutshell, the idea with alcohol is the same as the idea with salt, sugar, or aromatic oils: it serves to make food more palatable.
This is now being widely done with beer as well, as craft beer has had a huge rebirth. ...I personally find a good porter to go better with steak than any red wine I've tried so far.

[edit] Mammon: I like oatmeal stouts, porters, black lagers...dark stuff. I also really like Oktoberfests, which are unfortunately seasonal.

Edited by musenji

Excuse me if I put this too simply but...It's fun to have a buzz...It's fun when I'm with good friends having a good time, and we happen to be having a few beers, and I happen to get a buzz from it. I just see it as a good time...

I guess the biggest question one should ask one's self is, "Why am I drinking?"

Personally, I make sure to drink only when I'm already in a good mood. The alcohol always enhances that good mood I'm in. If one drinks to cover something up like social anxiety, or drinks TO get happy again...It just becomes self medication.

I don't think it's wrong to drink at all, but I do think there are immoral REASONS for drinking.

And of course I can't NOT quote Heinlein on this post. :lol:

"Be wary of strong drink. It can make you shoot at tax collectors... and miss." --Robert A. Heinlein