Objectivism Online Forum

Ever wonder how much money the federal government spends?

Rate this topic

Miles White

It was *very* hard for me to read it, and zooming just blew up a blur. But it looks to me like the graphic hides all of the entitlement spending the US government does. I am suspicious of ANY graphic that makes it look like the Department of Defense gets the lion's share of the money. This poster probably shows only "discretionary" spending that Congress must re-authorize every year, not the automatic "entitlement" spending like Social Security, Medicare, et. bottomless al.

Ah, now it's working.

In the lower right is the true picture. All national security spending including Iraq is 707 billion (of which 91 billion is non-DOD and 145 billion is "Global War on Terror"). "Non military National Security discretionary" is 358 billion. Those two categories contain EVEYRTHING on the main graphic.

Here is the rest of the stuff, NOT shown on the main graphic, which is therefore in my opinion highly misleading. I would love to see what the main part of the poster looks like with a MONSTER social insecurity shield on it.

Social Security is 608 billion. Medicare is 386 billion, "Income Security" is 325 billion, interest on the national debt 261 billion, Medicaid 202 billion, Veterans Benefits 45 billion, and "other" 25 billion. Again, none of this unconstitutional bullcrap is obvious on the other 9/10ths or more of the poster.