Objectivism Online Forum

Who is the most virtuous Presidential Candidate?

Rate this topic

Who is the least of all evils?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Candidates

• Rudy Giuliani
    • Ron Paul
    • Mike Huckabee
    • Mitt Romney
    • John McCain
    • Hillary Clinton
    • Barack Obama
    • Dennis Kucinich
    • John Edwards
    • Mike Gravel

The title of the poll says “Who is the most virtuous Presidential Candidate?” and the poll question is “Who is the least of all evils?” There’s a big difference between being virtuous and being the lesser evil. Stalin and Hitler were both evil, but as a German Jew, I might have preferred Stalin.

Also, there is a difference between being virtuous and being the best candidate. Ron Paul might be the most virtuous because he is the least political, but that does not mean that I want him to win the election.

I have to write in Fred Thompson--as the least evil, not the most virtuous. There are no virtuous presidential candidates.

Ron Paul might be the most virtuous because he is the least political, but that does not mean that I want him to win the election.

I think Ron Paul is actually the most evil one.

When questioned about the candidates for Presidency, at least with the ones that are on that list, I do not speak of their virtue, only their vices, and which has the most, keeping in mind (more importantly to me) that also includes party politics as well, since the main candidates are members of a particular party, thereby supporting the party, as they are supported by it (democratically speaking).

Edited by intellectualammo

The title of the poll says “Who is the most virtuous Presidential Candidate?” and the poll question is “Who is the least of all evils?” There’s a big difference between being virtuous and being the lesser evil.

I understand that, how ever what I meant to say was who is the most virtuous or least of all evils to you.

Edited by Miles White

As to who is the most virtuous candidate, I don't think anyone can say since we don't know the candidates. We can get a pretty good idea of what they think but I think actions are a much stronger indication of virtue. Who's the hardest worker for example is a question that no one on this board can answer.

Answering "How is he [Ron Paul] more evil than the others?"

He's a longtime libertarian.

3. (which should be 1.) He is a Republican.

To brand all "longtime libertarians" & "Republicans" as evil is absurd and irrational. Murderers are evil, rapists are evil, being affiliated with a political party would seem to pale in comparison. Your assigning of "evil" to people you don't even know and who don't seem like they plan to trample on your rights is ridiculous.

To brand all "longtime libertarians" & "Republicans" as evil is absurd and irrational.

I am voting lesser of evils here. Democrat, Republican, Libertarian Party's are degrees of evil to me, and I choose the lesser in my self-defense against the greater evil among them, keeping in mind the practicality involved in it as well, the relationship between a candidate and the party to which he or she is a candidate of, and so forth.

Murderers are evil, rapists are evil, being affiliated with a political party would seem to pale in comparison.

There are degrees of evil.

Your assigning of "evil" to people you don't even know and who don't seem like they plan to trample on your rights is ridiculous.

What do you mean by "people you don't even know", aren't you contradicting yourself by stating something you claim to know about them, those "who don't seem like they plan to trample your rights"?

Edited by intellectualammo

To brand all "longtime libertarians" & "Republicans" as evil is absurd and irrational.

This is a package deal. "Libertarian" is an ideology. "Republican" is a party. There is nothing wrong with being affiliated with a (non-ideological) party. But to be affiliated with the ideology that Ayn Rand called the diametrical opposite of Objectivism--that's a different story entirely!

...Fred Thompson is my choice for President of the USA. Certainly, all of the candidates have their major drawbacks, some more than others, but one of them WILL be elected, so I am voting for the best candidate of a very poor field whom I think will best preserve liberty and appeal, at least somewhat, to Objectivist friendly ethics. Obviously, Fred Thompson is far from an ideal candidate, but I think that he is the best choice. A lot of Oists like Giuliani, but after hours and hours on the internet of research into the candidate's character and voting records as elected officials, I have to conclude that F. Thompson is the most qualified to be President.

This website had a lot of info. about F.T. that helped me to make my decision; http://www.ontheissues.org/Fred_Thompson.htm . I like Giuliani a lot, but I would be hard pressed to trust him to in actuality stave off the largesse of big government. As you know, he did not sign the pledge to not raise taxes, which is already a red flag for me. When push comes to actual shove, I think that Fred would do more to veto government largesse and actually defend liberty than Guiliani would. I see a lot of GW in Guiliani and that makes me ill at ease.

All the people that have a chance of acquiring the Republican party nomination are greater evils to me. Even Giuliani seems like a religious threat. I've realized in the last few weeks that the religious factor is the greatest threat in the long run, and that includes Ron Paul who authored the We The People Act and the Sanctity of Life Act.

All the people that have a chance of acquiring the Republican party nomination are greater evils to me. Even Giuliani seems like a religious threat. I've realized in the last few weeks that the religious factor is the greatest threat in the long run, and that includes Ron Paul who authored the We The People Act and the Sanctity of Life Act.

Didn't paste the URL correctly. Here's the correct one: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080114/ap_on_...iuliani_florida

This website had a lot of info. about F.T. that helped me to make my decision; http://www.ontheissues.org/Fred_Thompson.htm . I like Giuliani a lot, but I would be hard pressed to trust him to in actuality stave off the largesse of big government. As you know, he did not sign the pledge to not raise taxes, which is already a red flag for me. When push comes to actual shove, I think that Fred would do more to veto government largesse and actually defend liberty than Guiliani would. I see a lot of GW in Guiliani and that makes me ill at ease.

he didn't sign it because that's the way he works: "under promise and over deliver" that's the way he ran the city. he didn't promise so many tax cuts but look at his record! the most tax cut anyone ever dared make in nyc. so I trust him.