Objectivism Online Forum

The Lurker Speaks (An Introduction)!

Rate this topic

Hello everyone,

I'm an American who has spent his whole life outside of the United States. I'm 19 years old, and I'm currently taking classes with the University of Maryland University College, but I hope to transfer in the Fall. My father is a pharmacist who works at military hospitals, so we've stayed in Europe for quite a while. I'd call myself one of the few Capitalists over here, as everyone is always sounding off about the government's need to take care of us. In my free time I enjoy reading (I should do more), paintball, working out, running, learning, clubbing, gaming, jousting with my catholic mother, and my latest obsession- polishing my college applications.

I'm glad I discovered this sane corner of the internet. There is a lot of productive discussion here. I've been lurking on this forum for about two months, but I figured I may as well try to contribute something to the boards. Initially, I used to be a communist because I've always upheld productivity. Then one day I realized that these were Capitalist ideals, and that the whole "killing people" thing didn't sit well with me.

I first learned about Objectivism in high school when I read Atlas Shrugged for one of my English classes. I think I more or less embraced Objectivist ethics before I was actually introduced to them. In the way of ethics, I'm looking to understand how Objectivism is not is not carte blanche to be a jerk. Also, I want to learn more about Rand's metaphysics and epistemology. I have a copy of OPAR in the mail though, so I hope that that will clear up some questions. I look forward to be a productive member on these boards!

Welcome to the forum.

OPAR will give you a great overview. I'd strongly recommend Rand's non-fiction, particularly "Virtue of Selfishness" and "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal".

In addition, the Ayn Rand Institute has a page with audio of various lectures that Ayn Rand gave, mostly at the Ford Hall Forum. You need to register (give them your email address) to see that page, but it's well worth it if you don't have the text versions.