Objectivism Online Forum

Was Dropping the Atomic Bomb Necessary for Ending the War with Japan?

Rate this topic

shyboy

If you read my earlier posts, you would see the demonstration I am referring to is a hypothetical blast in a remote location, observed by a Japanese delegation, not Hiroshima. This scenario is laid out in Michael Bess' Choices Under Fire.

Thanks for the history lesson archimedes. I hope you copied that from somewhere and didn't take the time to write it, because it doesn't give us any new information on which to judge the morality of dropping the bomb on Japan, which incidentally is the topic of this thread. You may have good reasons to disagree with the assessment I presented of the goals of Japan's militarist foreign policy in the 1930's, but you didn't present them in your post.

Hmm...I believe that I competently covered the rationale for Japan's efforts in the War, as well as the necessity for America's usage of not one, but two, bombs. Perhaps you didn't bother to read the information contained either in my post or the links that I provided which would have adequately provided the reviewer with a look into the mindset/ideology governing, compelling, and motivating the Japanese, i.e., the Bushido Code.

Admittedly, while the oversight is on my part over the perceived confusion about the "demonstration" as I directed my comments primarily at the/your title question, i.e., "Was Dropping the Atomic Bomb Necessary for Ending the War with Japan?", due to my perception of it being the more pertinent topic as it recalled one of, if not the, darkest periods in the civility and developmental humanity of the World, I feel that a review of their ideology would reveal that it really wouldn't have mattered and likely would have only prompted the Japanese to devise a tactic even more so sinister that the surprise bombing of Pearl Harbor which, as you know, is what prompted America's involvement.

All of the information is there if one only takes the time to read it, but then, it is one thing to have read something and to be able to say 'yeah, I read it', and yet another entirely to be able to say that you've read something and understood it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic